Chicken Mince

shodges1, Feb 6, 2:46am
Any ideas what to make with chicken mince?
tried to go to trademecooks site but shut down:(
Any ideas would be great

karenz, Feb 6, 2:50am
If it is the cheap slimy chicken mince that you can buy at Pak N Save I wouldn't advise cooking anything with it. The real minced chicken MEAT which is considerably more expensive can be used pretty much anywhere beef or lamb can be used, like a bolognaise sauce and it is also really nice made into chicken patties.

shodges1, Feb 6, 2:53am
no got it at new world hopefully wont be fatty havent brought it before. fingers crossed its ok then

karenz, Feb 6, 3:07am
If it is from New World it will be fine, they don't sell the other stuff. I make chicken patties with spring onions, grated ginger and lemongrass. It is also nice in a canneloni. Cook finely chopped onion and garlic in a little oil (I think peanut is nice with chicken), add the chicken mince and cook, then add a splash of white wine (if you have/like it) and a little tomato paste and any herbs you like, I use lemon thyme. Stuff the tubes and make a tomato sauce (onions, garlic, tin of tomatoes and seasoning) pour this over the tubes, make a white sauce with a little parmesan mixed in and pour this over the red sauce and sprinkle more parmesan over and bake. I buy fresh lasagna sheets rather than the dried tubes because they are easier to stuff.

shodges1, Feb 6, 6:49am
yum thanks made the canneloni very good ! !

maycey, Feb 6, 6:51am
I got the chicken mince from PNS and it was about $17kg so wouldn't say that was cheap.

srs5, Feb 6, 7:03am
chicken lasagene is divine (KISS recipe). chicken mince, mushrooms, parsley, thicken with a type of white sauce made with milk, cornfour , S &P, and chicken stock. Add cheese, lasage pasta. Even better rehaeted.

dwebble, Feb 6, 7:14am
Chicken canneloni, lasagne, nuggets (I use tempura batter to coat them), chicken scotch eggs, season and flavour the chicken and instead of patties, you can pat them around kebab sticks or lemongrass stalks and fry. I also use the mince for tortilla wraps or even donner kebabs

karenz, Feb 7, 1:30am
The stuff I was referring to is about $10 for 2 kilos and it is by Turks. I buy it for the cats and mix it with dry food, they gag if I give it to them straight it is so slimy.

nfh1, Feb 7, 1:38am
gosh $10 for 2 kgs - that tells you all you need to know about it.

LOL at the cats!

maycey, Feb 7, 2:32am
Haven't seen any for 2kg for $10 at my pns. Sounds like pet mince or prob really fatty.

karenz, Feb 7, 3:39am
It is at Petone PNS, it is not labelled as pet mince and some people do cook with it, I know someone who has but the texture puts me off. Remember those ads that were on a few years ago where the little boy "negotiates" with the parents of the little girl to have some chicken nugget type product 3 days a week? They were taken to some food standards authority and it came out that the nuggets contained almost no chicken meat, it was "whatever was adhering to the chicken frame after the meat was removed" among other things.

beaker59, Feb 7, 4:44am
MRM mechanically reclaimed meat.

julzienz, Apr 26, 8:23am
Just to clear this thread up, for other people like me...

I had the sloppy chicken mince from Pak and Save tonight. I was ALMOST scared off cooking it, from reading this thread. But incase any other poor students are in a similar situation that I was (bought the mince, then got grossed out) I would just like to say...

The mince was tasty :) I stir fryed it like beef mince and although the look and texture of the mince pre-cooking was vomit-inducing, after it was cooked and drained of fat it was actually pretty good. Next time instead of being so cautious, I will make it into patties or meatballs like some recipes suggest.

P. S I don't know why it's red, but I don't want to know.

angela137, Apr 26, 9:16am
Chicken mince (the good stuff at least ) is prety expensive you can mix it with tofu 50 / 50 mix or more of tofu if you like it and it strches out well can also add osme bread crumbs ot the mix to pad it out a bit I also add mixed veg chopped garlic and some oyster sauce and its usually yummy as roll into balls and crumb and fry or stright fry no crumbs. Its all soo yummmyyy!

duckmoon, Apr 26, 10:47am
I use it for burrittos.

julzienz, Apr 26, 12:47pm
The stuff I got was $4. 95 a kilo. It was good. And cheap.

toadfish, Apr 26, 6:25pm
This is from Fishers Site, I replace the pork with Chicken Mince...

Glazed Meatballs
500g Pork Mince, 1 onion, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1 Tbs Soy Sauce, 1 Egg, 1/2 Cup breadcrumbs. Roll in flour, cook in oil. Add following glaze once meatballs are cooked.

Glaze: 2 Tbs Brown Sugar, 2 Tbs Soy Sauce, 1 Tbs Tomato Sauce, 1 Tbs water mix all ingredients together.

(NB from toadfish: I often double or triple the glaze as we like a bit of "sauce" on our rice)

flick1, Mar 7, 2:12am
I use it to make chicken triangles, simply brown the mince and make a cheese sauce, add it to the mince, along with spring onions or other vegetables you like, cut small squares of pastry and once the mixture is cooked place a small amount on each piece of pastry and fold over, this will make triangles, or rectangles if you so wish, then cook as per instructions on the pastry.