Help required - novice cake decorator

jojo76, Feb 11, 12:32am
It my daughter birthday this weekend, im trying to make her a decorated cake.
Just tried a cake using buttercream.i can't get a smooth finish.
My other option is fondat (!) my issue with this is i can't get to the city (who sell coloured icing) before her birthday.
I have precviously tried white fondant stuff from the supermarket and just adding foodcoloring, that ended up a bit of a mess and the icing fell to pieces before it got on the cake!I had added icing sugar to it.maybe that is where is went wrong.
Any ideas.advice would be appreciated.

P.s as far as decorations go i have a fairy to put on top and some small flower to go round the outside of the cake.

sclaredy_cat, Feb 11, 12:40am
What kind of colouring were you using for the fondant! Best to use a gel or powder as the liquids can make it go gluggy, and if you add too much icing sugar it can lose its stretch, that may have been the problem.

It's really difficult to get buttercream smooth, unless youve had a lot of practice. There are techniques that help (look up 'viva' buttercream on YouTube) but you'll also need a different buttercream recipe than what you may be using. Have you thought about using more of a 'stucco' type effect! It's much more forgiving!

fifie, Feb 11, 1:04am
Use a gel to colour fondant, like 561377171for sale on here, and you will have no trouble, or buy it already coloured, lots of colours here561026102Smoothing out butter cream,haven't tried this but it might help you.http://www.cliksecrets.com/cake-videos.phpGoogle fairy cakes for decorating ideas, heaps of pictures out there for ideas.

craig7000, Feb 11, 1:42am
to get buttercream smooth use a palate knife and dip into hot water before you run it over the cake.