Can I freeze cucumbers?

seller4, Feb 6, 7:46am
Trying to eat as many as I can, have also made pickles. What else can I do!
Any help appreciated. Have apple cucumbers and lebonese.

uli, Feb 6, 8:01am
Yes you can freeze them - however upon thawing they will be very watery and only suitable for cooking. I would rather make them into a salad which can be kept in the fridge for weeks or ferment them.

If you use the search function at left there have been a great number of threads on the topic in the last few weeks.

nfh1, Feb 6, 8:31am
uli - what sort of salad are you making with cucumbers which keeps for weeks.I love cucumber but don't seem to be able to keep them for very long.Thanks.

uli, Feb 22, 5:49am
Sorry to be late, never saw the thread again, until I was searching for more options after harvesting about 150 of the little critters today.

This is what I do often once I have already done the pickling and fermenting and more cucumbers show up:

It is a fresh salad that keeps in the fridge for 6 weeks or more.

7- 8 cups unpeeled pickling cucumbers sliced thin,
1- 2 cups sliced onions (red looks prettier),
1- 2 cups sliced red or green peppers,
2 tbsp salt,
1cup white vinegar (I use cider),
1 - 2 cups sugar (depending on how sweet you want it),
1tsp celery seed,
1tsp mustard seed,
2 tsp chopped dill or dry dill weed.

Mix cucumbers, onions, peppers, dill and salt and set aside.
Put vinegar, sugar, celery seed and mustard seed in a pot and bring to a boil.
Remove from heat and let cool.
Pour mixture over cucumbers.
Put in jars and store in refrigerator.

Will keep up to 2 months

gilligee, Feb 22, 6:20am
I use that recipe Uli but have always used an assortment of other vegetables too, cauli, cabbage, broc etc. It is lovely.

uli, Feb 22, 7:42am
I am more of a "seasonal girl" gilligee - so in summer it is cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes beans - in winter it is broccoli, cauli, cabbage etc. And more often than not I would ferment those rather than pickle them.

I hope you love the fridge "salads" while we have such a hot and dry summer (at least here up North), could be different where you are - someone talked about the first frosts this morning in Invercargill *shudders* :)

vmax2, Feb 22, 8:13am
Yes, it was a small frost here this morning.Thankfully my pumpkins, tomatoes, courgettes and potatoes are all fine.

You could do exactly the same as the above fermenting it uli, but without the vinegar and sugar.Then add that to lettuce for an interesting salad.Being a Southland girl I fermented some swede last year.I had a taste of it yesterday and it just about blew my mouth off with the intense flavour of garlic, ginger and peppercorns I had added with it.It was divine.