Plum jelly question

janzjanz, Feb 3, 11:01pm
Ok so Ive made heaps of jam.Now wanted a jelly.I googled and got a jelly recipe and now can't find it.I have plums and sugar in pot. (Left overnight)
Boiled the liquid of both.Now it said to sieve thru a muslin cloth. (Not push the fruit because it will not be clear)I have done that, but boy of boy is it taking ages to go thru the sieve.Can someone tell me if I have done something wrong.I thought it would be quite a fast process.Initially it went thru quite quick.No its like watching a pot boil.I dont want to mash the plums but wonder if they are 'clogging' the sieve.Suggestions people please

davidt4, Feb 3, 11:11pm
If you've already boiled the fruit and sugar together you've made jam, and it will be too thick to pass cleanly through a jelly bag.

To make jelly you need to cook the fruit without sugar then drain through the cloth without pressing.Then you measure the juice, measure the sugar (normally 700 - 750g per litre of juice), bring the juice to a rolling boil and add the sugar.Boil hard until it reaches setting point.