Tried and true grain bread in the bread maker

mumstu, Feb 3, 3:24am
I am after a really nice grainy bread that is successful in the bread maker.

I would like one that is similar to Vogel type graininess if you know what I mean!
Happy to go and buy the grains etc separately from Binn Inn or similar.

Has anyone got a recipe that they have found good!

pickles7, Feb 3, 3:47am
Not for the bread maker but it is the closest to Vogels I have made. I followed the recipe up till the last 2 hour rise. I put the dough into the bread tin to rise. I have a very large tin. Next time I will use two smaller tins.

http://www.kiwiwise.co.nz/recipe/jaquelines-slow-rise-vogels-bread

lx4000, Feb 3, 6:00am
Easy Healthy Bread

1 Cup plain flour
1 Cup wholemeal flour
1 Cup rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp salt

Mix above dry together.

Mix wet together to dissolve.

1 Tsp honey
1 1/4 Cup warm water
2 tsp yeast

Add dry mix to wet mix.
Mix well.

Spray oil around loaf tin and add dough. Spray top with oil and leave to rise for 30 or so mins.

Bake 180 for 35 to 40 mins.

Be warned! This IS A WET DOUGH !
I find if I wet my hands first, I can get the dough into the loaf tin without sticking to my hands.

I add sunflower seeds and raisins to the dry mix and its wonderful. This one you can add what ever to!

Easy as and fast, no kneading either!

notin the bread maker but its quick and easy! Mix and pour into loaf tin and leave to raise then bake:)

mumstu, Feb 3, 8:14am
Thank you for these great ideas.

mumstu, Feb 4, 12:39am
Hi Ix4000 I have at this very moment your bread recipe proving in my airing cupboard.:0)

So far it looks lovely and I am so looking forward to tasting it, it was so easy to make !

wron, Feb 4, 1:54am
I've just printed the recipe that Pickles posted the link for and was amazed at how little yeast it had - what do you think!
Recipe submitted by Jacqueline on May 13th, 2011

I have long searched for a recipe for a Vogels-like bread and recently adapted Jim Lahey’s no knead white bread to come up with a loaf that is just like vogels, moist and chewy with a great crust. It is baked in a pre heated cast iron dutch oven with a lid, but a pyrex or ceramic container can also be used. No kneading, just mix up ingredients and let time do the kneading for you. Only requires a few minutes hands on time, but requires forward planning as can take up to 22 hours before ready to bake.

Prep time:15 minutes
Cook time:45 minutes
Servings:2x 750gm loaves

Ingredients:
½ cup kibbled wheat
¼ cup kibbled rye
4 cups high grade bread flour
1 cup whole meal flour
¼ cup rolled oats
½ cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
2 Tbsp Quinoa
3 tbsp flax seed
3 Tbsp chia seeds
3 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp gluten
2 Tbsp skim milk powder
1/3 teaspoon instant yeast (yes thats right!)
2 3/4 teaspoons salt
3 1/4 cups cold water
1 tsp wine vinegar

Directions:
Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well (seeds are all optional)
Add water and vinegar
Mix well until a shaggy dough forms.
Cover bowl and dough with a plastic bag and leave in a warm place in winter or on bench in summer for 12 -18 hours to rise. Leave for longer if cold weather, it needs to have bubbles forming on the top of the dough when ready
When dough is bubbly on top, stir and fold dough over on itself once or twice, using a silicone spatula. It is a very wet sticky dough.
Cover and let rest about 15 minutes.
1. Using a spatula, gently shape dough into a ball, folding it over on itself, no kneading necessary.
2. Dust flour over the bottom of the bowl and place the dough seam side down into the bowl. Cover and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.
3. Half an hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 220 deg C and place the 4 1/2 litre cast iron dutch oven and lid in to heat also.
4. Tip dough gently into hot dutch oven container, seam side up. (No need to grease container, doesn’t stick, can use baking paper liner if you must). Sprinkle quickly with water and put lid on pot and place back in oven. (I use a silicone spatula to ease the dough from the sides of the bowl cleanly as I tip it into the bowl. I try to prevent any strands of dough from breaking)
5. Bake 35 minutes then remove lid and bake a further 10-15 minutes to brown top. Remove from oven, tip bread onto a rack, cover with a tea towel and leave to cool. Do not slice until cool.
The quinoa and any of the seeds can be omitted to make a loaf like the "Original Vogels loaf" , costs a lot less but still gives a great textured and chewy bread. I still like to add sunflower seeds if i have them though, they do make it very tasty.

My costing for the basic loaf without seeds:
$1.04 for 675gm champion white high grade flour @$7.99 per 5kg
$0.27 for 90 gm Kibbled Wheat @ $3.00 per kg BinInn
$0.15 for 45 gm Kibbled Rye @ $3.40 per kg BinInn
$0.05 for 1/3 tsp Tasti active yeast @$3.77per 130g (78 servings)
$0.01 for 2 tspns (10g) salt (Pam’s iodised table @ $1.65 for 2kg
$0.06 for ¼ cup (22g) rolled oats (Pams @ $375 for 1.5 kg
$0.30 for electricity cost for oven use (220°C for 1 hr [including heating-up time]
$1.88 = Total cost for 1460gm loaf of bread (almost twice the size of a store bought 750gm vogels original loaf)
The cost of $1.88 for a 1.460kg loaf works out at approx 13 cents per 100 gm, or 97.5 cents per 750 gm loaf.
Total cost for a homemade version of the 750 gm loaf of original multigrain vogels bread works out at less than $1.00 dollar.

Average Rating:(11 votes)

mumstu, Feb 4, 3:00am
Oh that looks really good to.

sarahb5, Feb 4, 5:13am
I use this one from village.green all the time:

Five Seed Bread
3tsp Surebake yeast
1 1/4 cups plus 2 Tbs warm water
2 tsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt
2 Tbs lecithin granules or oil
1.5 cups high grade flour
1.5 cups wholemeal flour
1/4 cup each sunflower, pumpkin, poppy and raw or toasted sesame seeds
2 Tbs linseeds

In bread machine, set to the normal/white cycle, medium crust and start or use the dough cycle and shape as you want.
Notes: change the seeds around as you wish and if you do use sesame, they are really nice toasted first. It keeps well and makes good toast.

pickles7, Feb 4, 5:39am
x1
[No kneading, just mix up ingredients and let time do the kneading for you. Only requires a few minutes hands on time, but requires forward planning as can take up to 22 hours before ready to bake.

Prep time:15 minutes
Cook time:45 minutes
Servings:2x 750gm loaves

Ingredients:
½ cup kibbled wheat
¼ cup kibbled rye
4 cups high grade bread flour
1 cup whole meal flour
¼ cup rolled oats
½ cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
2 Tbsp Quinoa
3 tbsp flax seed
3 Tbsp chia seeds
3 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp gluten
2 Tbsp skim milk powder
1/3 teaspoon instant yeast (yes thats right!)
2 3/4 teaspoons salt
3 1/4 cups cold water
1 tsp wine vinegar

Directions:
Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well (seeds are all optional)
Add water and vinegar
Mix well until a shaggy dough forms.
Cover bowl and dough with a plastic bag and leave in a warm place in winter or on bench in summer for 12 -18 hours to rise. Leave for longer if cold weather, it needs to have bubbles forming on the top of the dough when ready
When dough is bubbly on top, stir and fold dough over on itself once or twice, using a silicone spatula. It is a very wet sticky dough.
Cover and let rest about 15 minutes.
1. Using a spatula, gently shape dough into a ball, folding it over on itself, no kneading necessary.
2. Dust flour over the bottom of the bowl and place the dough seam side down into the bowl. Cover and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.
3. Half an hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 220 deg C and place the 4 1/2 litre cast iron dutch oven and lid in to heat also.
4. Tip dough gently into hot dutch oven container, seam side up. (No need to grease container, doesn’t stick, can use baking paper liner if you must). Sprinkle quickly with water and put lid on pot and place back in oven. (I use a silicone spatula to ease the dough from the sides of the bowl cleanly as I tip it into the bowl. I try to prevent any strands of dough from breaking)
5. Bake 35 minutes then remove lid and bake a further 10-15 minutes to brown top. Remove from oven, tip bread onto a rack, cover with a tea towel and leave to cool. Do not slice until cool.
The quinoa and any of the seeds can be omitted to make a loaf like the "Original Vogels loaf" , costs a lot less but still gives a great textured and chewy bread. I still like to add sunflower seeds if i have them though, they do make it very tasty.

Average Rating:(11 votes)[/quote]

I can assure you it worked, the texture is so much like how Vogels used to be. I probably put a 1/2 a teaspoon of dry yeast in, [not sure to rise] It took a long time, I will be making it again. 15 minutes of my time, no kneading.
Making bread in the bread maker with hard seeds will ruin the Teflon coating.