Induction hob advice

jen69, Feb 4, 6:14am
What do you need to look for in an induction hob! Are there any brands better than others! Are cheaper ones cheap and nasty! i.e.is what you pay what you get!I am also wondering about pots etc. I have some wonderful large/heavycastiron pans which I use all the time.A magnet will stick to them but is this always an accurate test that they will work with induction! . Plus as they are quite rough cast I am concerned about them scratching the hob surface when moving them aorund. Actually I would muchprefer a gas hob but justlooking at induction hobsas it is less hassle and less cost to install into our exisiting kitchen. Thanks for any tips!

melford, Feb 4, 9:13am
Gas is easy to install and cheap to run. Not that expensive to have installed either.I just had a gas hob installed with only a 9 kg gas talk on the outside. I previously had an induction top. I love my gas hob, so quick cooking anything - and the cleaning of it is a breeze, no staining like the induction hob - go gas I say

jen69, Feb 4, 5:20pm
Thanks Melford. Despite my best intentions I do tend to bust things, and I thought gas would be a more robust option for me, and yes easy to clean.Didnt realise the induction hobs sometimes stain, thats good to know. What sort of gas hob did you go for!

wasa171, Feb 4, 11:04pm
I have an induction cooktop and have to say while it is the fastest cooking stove top I have ever used I would not buy another one, I had to replace all my pots an expense i did not need coz none of them worked especially the cast iron one's, the hob is glass so you have to be carefull not to drop anything, while mine is +- 4 years old it has not stained at all however if you want to turn the heat up or down don't be in a rush the push arrows take there time and you have to be touching them exactly in the right place or the count down wont work and you end up burning food.

melford, Feb 4, 11:15pm
FISHER & PAYKEL GAS COOKTOP CG604DWFCX1
$1.039 from smiths city market

delms50, Feb 5, 8:18pm
We love our induction cooktop. We are certainly going to put one in our new kitchen when we build this year. Bought the pots necessary at Briscoes when they were on special at very low cost. Easy to use and keep clean. Extremely quick elements. Would have over gas anyday in looks department and efficiency.

katalin2, Feb 5, 9:03pm
Love my induction hob- over 2 years old now and has not stained in spite of preserving spills etc. Easy to clean- hardly need a microwave as so quick. Also bought cheap pots from Briscoes sale that I am happy with. My old casr iron dutch oven and fry pans work fine. I have numbers 01-10 for heating so easy to change- don't burn nearly as much as I did with gas, much better for low simmering. Also the elements in mine criss cross so can have the whole hob covered with pots at times such as Christmas.

olwen, Feb 5, 9:36pm
I was looking at it and it was $500-$800 to put a hole in the wall and the fittings for a 9kg gas bottle.(It didn't even have to go through the external wall because of the arrangement outside).

melford, Feb 5, 9:44pm
There is more to the installation than just putting a hole in the wall. Mine has copper pipes that run through 5 cupboards until they get tto the point where the go out the external wall which is brick. Then the actual tank has to sit on a concrete tile and be braced to the wall outside. Also you need aCode of Compliance from the council to say that it has been installed correctly.

olwen, Feb 5, 10:39pm
Mine didn't have to go through cupboards or brick.The hotwater cylinder is outside the house and behind the stove.it is a few feet up.Below it the space is open with no floor and open between the wall and the ground.There is concrete there.This is in a corner next to a concrete chimney space where the coal range used to be.It is as simple an installation as possible and made be decide against the rage with the gas hob I had my heart set on.We got a good second-hand electric stove instead.I think it was the code of compliance that made it so dear.

nzbadger, Feb 5, 11:20pm
Just put induction in my new house. Was sick of all the cleaning of Gas Hobbs. With the Induction you just put a piece of Newsprint on the surface when cooking / frying & screw it up & throw it away afterwards. Easy Peasy. Pots I also bought 60% off at Briscoes. Wouldn't go back to gas. :-)

jen69, Feb 6, 12:41am
HI everyone. All your info is really helpful. Those who did go for induction how much do you think you need to spend! i.e.you buy cheaper or well known brands which tend to be more pricey, Miele, Smeg, Baumatic etc. Also what size have you found the best. We thought the 60cm ones looked a bit small. The criss cross elements sound pretty interesting too.

katalin2, Feb 6, 3:57am
We did quite a lot of research when we were building our house and decided on Electrolux 70cm which we got a good deal on at Harvey Normans. When the salesman told us about the criss cross elements that was what decided us. Consumer gave it a good write up too. The old roasting panfits on over 2 elements for making gravy as well.

samanya, Feb 6, 5:47am
Same here.
I bought a slightly more expensive (larger) induction hob .only because it was to fit in an existing gap .had to weigh up spend more on the hob or replace the bench top .hob won out.
I got a free set of saucepans thrown in with the purchase, but I also bought a set of the Briscoe's specials (very reasonably priced) to complement them & I'm only lacking a big stockpot now.
I loved the gas but I 'adore' the induction hob.
My old pressure cooker won't work on it. but hey that's no problem,if I need to pressure cook anything, I just pop it on the BBQ gas burner.