Cookessentials - your Apricot Jam

maynard9, Jan 29, 3:27am
Made it this morning and OMG - can see why this is the only one you make now.It will be the same for me now.
I haven't made Apricot Jam for a number of years as I was always rather disappointed - preferring to use my small supply into Spicey Sauce - but not now - thanks to you.
I knew as soon as I saw it was a recipe recommended by you it would have to be good.
Thanks so much for sharing - it sure was worth getting up at 6.30 to make it - before the kitchen got too hot.30 degrees here at moment.
Isn't it so annoying that the time when you are most doing jams/chutnies etc it is hot hot hot weather.
Thanks again - have written it into my book
Regards - and they sure are warm ones - wink

cookessentials, Jan 29, 4:00am
Hi Maynard, a happy new year to you. Glad you like it. I often put the apricots and sugar into the stock pot early morning and by the time I get home, they are looking pretty good. I wait till after dinner to make it. Have yet to do mine. I thought I might get my apricots direct from the grower in Clutha this year. Make yourself a big glass of ice water!

punkinthefirst, Jan 30, 10:52pm
I've long since given up making any jams in the heat of summer, and, instead, put the fruit, all prepared, in recipe-sized bags, into the freezer. It's MUCH better standing over a hot stove in the winter!

maynard9, Jan 31, 1:31am
Yes - I have occasionally thought of doing that but begrudge my freezer space.I never seem to have enough space - despite having a huge old style chest one that is at least 40 yrs old.

cookessentials, Jan 31, 2:03am
That's a super idea.

timarubogan, Feb 4, 6:23am
reciepe plz

cookessentials, Feb 4, 8:23am
Apricot Jam:
I have been making this jam for about five years now and it is the only one I make. The recipe is actually one from Morocco and is well worth making.
1.5kg ripe apricots, halved and six stones reserved.
1.5 kg of sugar. I use caster sugar as it dissolves far more quickly and makes a lovely clear jam ( a trick used at A&P show competitions)
1 or 2 small firm, pale skinned lemons, washed.
1/2 cup water.
Place apricots and sugar in a large non-reactive bowl. Use a hammer to gently open the stones to remove the kernel, being careful not to smash the kernel.
Split the kernels in half and add to bowl. Slice most of each lemon very thinly, reserving the unsliced portions for later. Add lemon slices and any pips to the bowl and mix the contents all together, then cover and set aside overnight. By morning, the juices will have come out of the fruit. Pour mixture into a large pan or preserving pan ( I use a stock pot) with the water. Place over medium heat for 5 mins, stirring to prevent mixture sticking, while sugar dissolves. Increase heat to fairly high and boil for about 15-20 minutes until mixture just starts to thicken and the temp reaches 105C. Skim off any yellow film and remove pan from the heat. Squeeze in the juice from the reserved lemons and stir. Carefully transfer jam to hot, sterlilized jars and seal. I use the "Waugh" cellophane seals that you can usually buy from New World in the red and green pack, just follow the instructions. Once the cellophane seals are tight, I then put on a screw top lid.