Cooking with gas

bransonbelle, Jan 26, 9:39pm
Hi there. We are about to move into a house that uses gas (piped in from the street) for heating and cooking etc. I have never cooked with gas before, but I understand it is a more controlled way of cooking! Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is it still OK for me to use the same pots and pans I've been using!
Is gas pretty safe overall to use! I assume you don't need matches to light anymore. As you can tell I'm a complete novice! Thanks for your help.

kaddiew, Jan 26, 10:02pm
Ijust use my same old pots and pans I've had for decades.But I often find even the lowest setting far too powerful for a gentle simmer, and end up with large pans on the smallest "ring" to slow things down. Like you I'm more used to electric. No matches! Just press and turn knobs for instant heat. :)

bransonbelle, Jan 26, 10:04pm
Great thanks! Kind of looking forward to using gas now, after years of using electric.

kuaka, Jan 26, 10:22pm
I love the gas now - when we first bought the house I hated it as the pots were always sooty and hubby kept saying it was "dirty gas" - it's bottled, but I figured I couldn't always get dirty gas - turned out the jets were wrong and needed to be changed.O like it almost as much as I liked the ceramic top hob I had years ago.But you will still need matches when there's a power cut.Well I do with mine anyway.

fifie, Jan 26, 11:18pm
Love the gas, find it a bit hard to get a gentle simmer like #2 says, otherwise great, wonderful for stirfrys and its nice and quick to cook things. Gas fire in winter is instant heat, we use the big 45kg bottles and find it to expensive to run as we are home all day. Only use it as a booster or if its really cold, put in a heat pump which is more economical and heats a bigger areafor us.

aasha, Jan 27, 12:42am
LOVE IT, have used it for the last 30 years. Kids tend to burn more pots when learning to cook but we are over that now.I had to use a friend's electric one over the holidays and oh it was so slow to respond. Not all self- igniters work but I have a barbecue match from the supermarketwhich lasts for ages to light my burners.

Wouldn't be without my gas fireand never run out of gas hot water.

Just don't expect your roast potatoes to crispy up the same as they did in your electric oven, daughter finally taught me how to get mine crispy - cook in microwave for about 6 minutes then shake them around together to rough up the surface then pop in the oven with the roast.Never had a failure since.

edited for typo's

sarahb5, Jan 27, 2:44am
Definitely prefer gas - much more controllable and as it's what I've always used for preference I have no problem with a gentle simmer or getting my roasties nice and crispy!

bransonbelle, Jan 27, 2:52am
Thanks for the feedback everyone - can't wait to try it now. Heating is by way of gas too so apparently when you shower, the hot water is pretty much instant I understand. In other words, you would never run out of hot water! Feel like I've been living under a rock all these years.!

camper18, Jan 27, 4:59am
You can get a simmer mat/plate to put under your pots that will slow down the heat to a simmer. I have one in our motorhome and it works.