Limoncello - home made spirits

sport_billy, Jan 15, 2:13am
Hi all,
Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I am wishing to make some homemade Limomcello (Italian apertif).

Ideally I am free some grain alcohol so wondering if anyone knows where this can be brought/obtained from! It can be brewed at home but I'm just after the finished alcohol product.

Limomcello can be made with vodka but prefer to do it the traditional way if possible.

Otherwise anyone have a good recipe!

I'm in Christchurch also.

Thanks!

karenz, Jan 15, 2:30am
This is not traditional and does not use grain alcohol but is very simple, makes 1 x 700m bottle
475g lemons (washed, peel on, chopped into large chunks)
420g (2 cups) castor sugar
rind of 1 lemon
350m vodka
375m (1 1/2 cups) water
Place lemons and sugar into a large bowl and bruise the fruit to extract some of the oil by squashing with the handle of a rolling pin (or a muddler)'Add rind, vodka and water to the bowl.Stir to dissolve sugar. If it doesn't dissolve easily leave for an h our then stir again.Cover with plastic wrap. Leave in a cool place for 48 hours.
Strain liquid through a sieve,discarding lemons.Pour through a funnel into empty bottle to store.Store in fridge or pour into plastic bottles and store in freezer.Serve well chilled.

ldbaqbeak, Jan 15, 2:33am
I use a good quality vodka and it is insanely good!
Sorry, can't help you with the alcohol, but if you can't source it try vodka, you won't regret it.

uli, Jan 15, 2:55am
I would very much recommend you do NOT make your own spirits if you have no idea what you need to do to make it safely! You can very well go blind!

So use one of the recipes on the net or the one above and use vodka from the gin shops. If possible get the 40% one.

twindizzy, Jan 15, 3:06am
Use a good quality Vodka and you will LOVE the end result