Cucumber/courgette question.

avs24, Jan 19, 5:21am
.this may sound very stupid.but a recipe for "cucumber relish".does that mean your average salad cucumber.or is it referring to courgettes. Very new to preserving-but have an influx of good old normal cucumbers.any suggestions greatly appreciated.

cgvl, Jan 19, 5:37am
its your average cucumber. I have one that uses cucumbers and its delish.

avs24, Jan 19, 5:41am
oh thanks for that will start goggling some recipes now.

lythande1, Jan 19, 5:56am
Courgettes are green on the outside and long, but that's where the resemblance (and taste) stops. Not the same thing at all.

uli, Jan 19, 8:11am
What is an "average" cucumber!

1buzemum, Jan 19, 9:17am
My kids get grumpy when I don't have this in the cupboard!
Cucumber Relish.
2 lb Apples peeled and grated
3 lb onions cut in half and sliced
2 lb sugar
3 lb Cucumber grated (seeds and all I do skin of telegraph aswell but peel normal ones)
1 heaped tsp pepper
salt to taste
4 Cup Vinegar
1 dsp curry powder
1 TBSP Turmeric

cook apple in vinegar when cooked add sugar, pepper, salt and slice onion, cook till onion is soft.
add grated cucumber and boil 5 min, add curry and Turmeric.
Thicken with flour and put into jars.

avs24, Jan 20, 5:24am
Thank you very much-sounds delicious.will make some tomorrow!
Kind regards

uli, Jan 20, 5:31am
Isn't the flour going to ferment!
Or are you "bottling" it - as in cooking in the jars!

uli, Jan 20, 5:32am
And what is a "normal" cucumber as opposed to a "telegraph" one!

sclaredy_cat, Jan 21, 1:08am
The recipe I have been using for 20+ years is also thickened with flour.

korbo, Jan 21, 2:12am
I always use ordinary flour to thicken relish and chutney.
now and then I will use cornflour.never had any go mouldy in my 30 odd years of preserving.
poster #6, will try your recipe, have made similar but not with apples, crushed pineapple instead.

nauru, Jan 21, 8:43am
I use flour to thicken relishes and chutneys too as did my MIL and I haven't had any problems in over 40 years of preserving.

uli, Jan 21, 8:52am
Thanks for that anecdotal evidence. I have never thickened anything that I bottled with flour or cornflour, it just sounded as if it would be a certain recipe for disaster to me. obviously it is not.

sclaredy_cat, Jan 21, 11:06pm
You're welcome - we were all newbies once ;)

olwen, Jan 21, 11:22pm
The vinegar will preserve it

1buzemum, Jan 30, 7:16am
Hee hee I wrote "Normal" because someone else made same reference I mean the dark green thick skinned ones, the ones you peel. I don't peel telegraph cucumbers.

The very old recipe said to use flour and I never questioned it, it did say double turmeric but I adapted and kids like the quantity I origionally stated. I have sometimes accidently over thickened the relish and the only problem I found was the kids used bigger dollops so my batch didn't last the whole year.