Food after gall bladder surgery?

carlos57, Jan 7, 3:15am
A friend is about to have gall bladder surgery and I'd like to make a meal and/or some baking for her and her husband. I've googled, but have come up with conflicting information about what is and isn't ok. Any ideas! I guess the main question is, is there anything I should definitely avoid! TIA

rubyjane11, Jan 7, 3:22am
spicy, keep it low fat

amelias_mummy, Jan 7, 3:26am
i had my gall bladder out 2 years ago. i still eat the same foods but low in fat (i have cut out take aways big time!) i love my spicey food and it hasnt affected me eating it still but i know others that it has etc. diff for everyone etc.

asue, Jan 7, 3:30am
low fat and keep dairy minimal, and limit spices.Maybe soup!

olwen, Jan 7, 3:38am
I had a gastric bypass and gall bladder removal at the same time,Because of the bypass I could only eat small quantities.But in hospital I was served pate and hummus among other things.Immediately post-op I'd go for fairly light meals easily digested.Perhaps a fish pie, or a nice chowder.The main problem with fat is that it may be incompletely digested.I'd skip spices until a few weeks post-op.

carlos57, Jan 7, 5:36am
OK, thanks. I'm still having trouble deciding. Her husband doesn't like onions, but I'm not sure if he'd object to them pureed in a soup. Or maybe I'll make a chicken casserole.

kuaka, Jan 7, 9:30am
Before being discharged from hospital after having my gall bladder removed about 5 years ago, I asked about the need for any special diet, anything I shouldn't eat etc, and they said I could eat whatever I liked.

natalie9, Jan 7, 9:50am
A friend had her gallbladder out and she's eating everything as normal, wasn't told otherwise. I'd say some comfort food like the chicken casserole you suggested or a pie or something.