Cream Cheese due to expire

chasing, Jan 3, 12:08am
Does anyone have a nice dessert recipe which only requires a 250gram on cream cheese! I have some that needs to be used before expiry in a couple of days. All the recipes I have found including Kraft's website needmore than the 250grams

dezzie, Jan 3, 12:16am
This sounds quite nice, you could probably use any sort of fruit I'm thinking, I've not made it tho.
http://www.rdasia.com/strawberry-cream-cheese-tart

firemansgirl, Jan 3, 12:21am
I often use cream cheese after the date, it's actually a Best Before and not a Use by. I have made the below recipe often. Yummy and very easy. Although temperature is 200 and not 2000 as they have lol.

http://www.cottonsoft.co.nz/images/products/cheese_muffins.pdf

olwen, Jan 3, 12:28am
Spread it on toast an top with smoked salmon :-)

firemansgirl, Jan 3, 12:32am
+1 yummy. Or Saute mushrooms and put them on top of the cream cheese on the toast. Bit of ground black pepper, lovely.

olwen, Jan 3, 12:33am
One yummy thing I used to do years ago was to make a sponge flan base, and some home made lemon jelly.I'd soak the base in lemon jelly then mix more lemon jelly with the cream cheese, spread some in the base, then top with sliced bananas in jelly, and I'd pipe the cream cheese/jellymix round the edge.

The jelly I made by infusing a sugar solution with lemon rind (take of thinly with a potato peeler) and the lemon juice.Strain it and add gelatine.

I really can't remember quantities now.

wildflower, Jan 3, 2:45am
lots of cheesecake recipes can be done with 250g or how about cream cheese and date or apricot sandwich or on bagels!

245sam, Jan 3, 2:56am
chasing, how about this recipe which is the recipe from my very first attempt - a very successful one! - at making a cheesecake!

HEAVENLY CHEESECAKE - always popular whenever I make it so I hope you will enjoy it too, if you try it.
Crumb Crust:
1 packet plain biscuits, crushed
170g butter, melted

Combine the biscuits and butter, then spread evenly into a 22·5cm (9”) springform tin and up the sides. Chill while preparing the Filling:
1 tbsp gelatine
250g cream cheese
¾ cup sugar
3 eggs
¼ cup each of water, lemon juice and milk
pinch salt

Blend the gelatine with the water and lemon juice, then set it aside. Combine the cream cheese, ½ cup sugar, beaten egg yolks, milk and salt. Cook over simmering water for 10 minutes, then blend in the gelatine mixture. Cool the mixture.
Beat 3 egg whites, gradually adding the remaining ¼ cup sugar, until soft peaks form. Fold this into cheese mixture and pour the filling carefully into crumb crust. Refrigerate.
If desired, pile whipped cream on top and serve as a dessert or as a cake with coffee.
This is nicest at least 1 day old, and freezes well too.:-))

chasing, Jan 3, 4:08am
Thanks everyone.not sure which to makemaybe the cheese cake or the muffins!

griffo4, Jan 3, 6:04am
l have cream cheese in the fridge that is unopened and it is 2 months over date and is fine as long as l don't open it

l do it all the time and never had a bad lot yet so don't panic about using it up if you don't want to

tessie2, Jan 3, 11:26am
Make a banana cake or carrot cake with cream cheese icing.

uli, Jan 3, 8:00pm
Spread it on cucumber slices and top it with smoked salmon :)

wgtnhayz, Jan 3, 10:43pm
Mint truffles which went down a treat for christmas. or any time really. Crush 2 packets of Arnotts mint treat biscuits (or the signature range brand works well too) in a blender. Add in 250g of cream cheese and mix together.Allow the mixture to set, I usually stick it in the freezer for about 30 minutes before rolling them into balls. Dip in melted chocolate.
The last batch I made was with cream cheese found in the fridge with a best before of May 2012. Was unopened and all the resulting truffles are now gone.

red45, Jan 4, 2:28am
You can use it in waffle or pancake mixture, make icing for carrot cake.Also nice with jam on waffles :)

Or goggle this. "recipe 250g cream cheese -cheesecake" if you want cheesecake recipes as well leave this out -cheesecake

ldbaqbeak, Jan 4, 2:33am
Sauté some onions, crushed garlic & ginger. Add paprika, cinnamon, chilli.

When heated through, add thinly sliced chicken breast.

When the chicken is cooked, add a tub of cream cheese and heat through.

Its a delicious chicken meal.
Serve on rice.

k1w1shena, Jan 4, 1:52pm
Spread on puff pastry, top with ham, roll up and cut into 'sausage rolls', and bake. Can be eaten hot or cold.

With the excess pastry, slice into rectangles, add two squares from a block of chocolate per rectangle, fold into an 'envelope', egg wash, and bake until the chocolate is softening but not melted (approx. 10 mins at 175C). Best eaten hot.

toffeey, Jan 4, 2:30pm
I bake little tarts to serve as nibbles. Layer some filo pastry into small muffin tins. Top with 1/2 a dried fig, dollop of cream cheese and piece of proscuitto or bacon. Can't remember how long they cook for but it's just until the filo looks done.

molly37, Feb 3, 5:58pm
Lemon Muffins with a good teaspoon of cream cheese in the middle. Yum.
Or stuff chicken breasts with cream cheese and apricots, pine nuts,etc etc.

angel404, Feb 4, 3:55am
I love cheese log. Mix whatever amount of cream cheese with some grated cheese (any flavour), add some gherkin relish and chopped dried fruit if u want (apricots are nice). This is gorgeous on crackers and burgers.