Pavlova advice

kiwitel, Dec 23, 9:31pm
Anyone a knowledgeable pavlova maker! Never made one and have decided to make one. Googled recipes and searched through the recipes forum on here- ( and I have learnt alot of tips reading through the old threads which is a great help) and have my trusty edmonds book- anyone by chance know which is a good recipe!
Getting very confused-some have water, some not, some use vanilla, some not, some say castor sugar- some icing sugar, some malt vinegar- some white vinegar- maybe it does not matter.
Like the look of the Annabel Langbein one where she uses-
6 egg whites, at room temperature
pinch of salt
1½ cups caster sugar
2 tsp cornflour
1 tsp vinegar
Is it a tasty pav!
Any advice appreciated. I suppose everyone has their favourite and I will just have to pick one.

rojh2, Dec 23, 9:39pm
That one looks good. Fairly standard recipe and a trusted kiwi cook. Probably the biggest differences is in the cooking.

bluemoon31, Dec 23, 9:46pm
ok,my one I use, same ingediants but its how you put it together, heat your oven 250, the oven has to be hot, beat egg whites till stiff, then tea spoon by tea spoon beat the sugar in on low speed, (this takes some time and dont rush) then add the other ingrediants and put in oven then turn oven off. Do not let anyone go in the kitchen any thumping can make it go flat. do not open the oven till the oven is cold. This works for me. Good luck!

kiwitel, Dec 23, 10:01pm
Thank you ~ I have always been too scared to make one~ they do sound temperamental. But your advice is very helpful and i am keen to give it a go with the recipe I have. The process does sound just as important as the ingredients.

anne1955, Dec 23, 10:12pm
For hassle free pav.cover baking tray with tin foil, then place a spring form cake pan with it's bottom off just using the ring sitting on the tin foil.Now spray with kitchen spray oil give it a good coat then.wet your hand with cold water just tap water is fine.and flick it into your ring and base only needs a few drops around it not flaoting in water :) just a wet hand is enough.then fill with pav mix ready to be cooked.cook as normal leave in/on tray and don't remove ring until it's cold.sometimes a wee knife to go around the edge might be needed but I find not often.hope this helps.

kiwitel, Dec 23, 10:17pm
Ooh ~ great tip ~ I will do that anne1955 ~ thank you.

anne1955, Dec 23, 10:27pm
Here's my Pav recipie and if you follow it and do my idea with the cake ring.I have never had a failure.
4 egg white roon temp not fresh today eggs if you have free range
1 & 1/4 cups castor sugar, 1tsp vinegar, 1tsp vanilla, 1tbsp (yes tbsp) cornflour.
Preheat oven to 180c.Put egg whites into bowl.make sure it's greasefree nice and clean! Start beating until whites just start to get frothey and gradually add sugar beating all the time.then time the beating beat further 10mins on high should be real thick with stiff peaks.Mix cornflour vinegar and vanilla together yes can be hard to do really stuf to sart with but does come right.make a smooth paste Slowy pour into white while beating even if it feel hard to come out.it will.Beat on high speed again for further 4 mins.Place into/onto baking tray.pref the way I have said above but works without ring.Reduce oven heat to 100c Place pav in oven bake for 1 hour then turn off oven and leave till cold.kill anyone opening door of oven to look serve them slow roasted.in fact ban all from kitchen, mostly they are just a pain when cooking and let them return when pav is cold and dishes need to be done.
And if the young men in the house say be there soon in the lou.fill sink with cold water and go away for a few mins then return and pull plug on sink they will think you have done them.but us woman aren't silly :)

kiwitel, Dec 23, 10:45pm
Appreciate you typing all of that. Will make tonight. :) And we women definitely are not silly- we keep one step ahead! Well most of the time .

anne1955, Dec 24, 2:45am
I think the trick is to let the other sex think we are.that's what keeps us one step ahead. ;)The recipe was from a feature article years, and years ago with famous or infomus New Zealanders.I think it was Norman Kirk wife's pav recipe.

willyow, Dec 24, 4:07am
Men DO know a thing or two about pavs.
1/ They taste great
2/It's a hellova lot easier to buy the ready-made ones at the Supermarket
3/

anne1955, Dec 24, 6:10pm
Merry Christmas Willyow and men know a lot of things about a lot of things ;) I'll give you that.Hope you get some Pav today.brought or homemade.

anne1955, Dec 24, 6:11pm
So did you make one!Merry Xmas

kiwitel, Dec 24, 6:55pm
Yes I did and I left it in the oven overnight. Will decorate in a couple of hours. Did not go as crispy on the top as I would have liked but it is high and looks like it will be marshmallowy inside. I am sure it will be delicious- the meringue mixture sure was before it went in the oven ! Thanks for all the advice.