Tamarind Chutney question mmMmm

lx4000, Dec 22, 11:21pm
How long does this last when you make it and store in the fridge. I'm going to make it for the first time using tamarind paste.
Thanks heaps in advance:)

nauru, Dec 22, 11:26pm
It keeps for ages once opened in the fridge.Just make sure that your jars seal properlyand store unopened jars in a cool dark place.I put dates in my Tamarind Chutney (recipe from an Indian friend) of mine, they give a nice colour and taste.

lx4000, Dec 22, 11:33pm
Thanks nauru

lx4000, Dec 23, 1:44am
nauru, do you mind posting your recipe please!

nauru, Dec 23, 4:43am
This recipe is for a small amount which is ideal for our needs but you could double/triple the recipe if you want. You could use chopped chili in place of cayenne if you want it spicy.We don't like it too spicy so I use the smaller amount of cayenne.

Tamarind & Date Chutney
1 cup chopped dates
1 chopped onion
½ cup sultanas
1 cup chopped apple
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup vinegar
½ cup water
½ cup tamarind concentrate
¼ teasp black mustard seeds
1 tablsp crushed garlic
A 1 inch piece fresh ginger grated
½ teasp ground cumin
½ teasp ground coriander
½ teasp turmeric
¼-½ teasp cayenne pepper
¼- ½ teasp salt
6 chopped curry leaves
4 cardamom pods bruised

Put onion in pan with all the spices, curry leaves, garlic & ginger, and dry fry for 1 minute, add water and cook 2 minutes.Add dried fruit, apple, tamarind, salt and vinegar to pan.Mix well and cook until desired thickness.Pour chutney into sterilized jars and cap while hot, label and store in cold dark place when cold.

I put the dried fruit and apple and chop until pulpy in my processor.

nauru, Dec 23, 4:43am
Hi lx4000 - This recipe is for a small amount which is ideal for our needs but you could double/triple the recipe if you want. You could use chopped chili in place of cayenne if you want it spicy.We don't like it too spicy so I use the smaller amount of cayenne.

Tamarind & Date Chutney
1 cup chopped dates
1 chopped onion
1 cup sultanas
1 cup chopped apple
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup vinegar
½ cup water
½ cup tamarind concentrate
¼ teasp black mustard seeds
1 tablsp crushed garlic
A 1 inch piece fresh ginger grated
½ teasp ground cumin
½ teasp ground coriander
½ teasp turmeric
¼-½ teasp cayenne pepper
¼- ½ teasp salt
6 chopped curry leaves
4 cardamom pods bruised

Put onion in pan with all the spices, curry leaves, garlic & ginger, and dry fry for 1 minute, add water and cook 2 minutes.Add dried fruit, apple, tamarind, salt and vinegar to pan.Mix well and cook until dark and it is the desired thickness.Pour chutney into sterilized jars and cap while hot, label and store in cold dark place when cold.

I put the dried fruit and apple and chop until pulpy in my processor.