Croissants recipe - sharing the love

flower-child01, Dec 21, 8:05pm
After making these, I will never buy them again. It is a time consuming process to make them, but the results are heavenly. To have them for xmas, make them a few days, or weeks prior, freeze them, take them out a the night prior, then place them in a preheated oven to crisp up.

1/2 tbsp dry yeast in warm milk (1/2 cup), left till yeast starts to bubble
250g flour
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
250g softened butter (but cool)
1 egg wash for glazing croissant

Put in a bowl flour, sugar, salt and yeast, mix well and add more milk (about 1/4 cup) to obtain a nice soft, not too dry, dough. Cover with glad wrap and rest in a warm place for one hour or until double in volume. Punch dough with fist and refrigerate for another half an hour. Meanwhile soften the butter and roll and shape it as a thin square with a rolling pin, The butter should be the same consistency as the dough (you may need to freeze it a little to firm it up after rolling).

Roll the pastry into a cross shape leaving a lump in the middle as thick as the butter. Place the butter in the middle on top of the lump and cover the butter by overlapping the four pieces of pastry, forming a cross.

Now you can start rolling and folding your dough like a puff pastry.

Roll the pastry into a long rectangle, take off excess flour and fold starting by the top towards you 3/4 of the pastry then fold bottom piece on top, turn the pastry 1/4 on the right and roll the pastry again and fold as before then refrigerate for half an hour.

You will need to repeat this exercise two more times, then refrigerate for half an hour. Then it is ready to use.

For the croissant, roll the pastry into a nice square (or rectangle for smaller croissants) about 1cm thick, then cut even triangles. To roll them, start from the base and roll softly, finishing by the point of the triangle. Brush it with an egg, so it sticks together.

Leave to proof for an hour before cooking in preheated oven at 210C for 15 mins.

Bon Apetit

fifie, Dec 21, 11:17pm
Great idea, used to always make mine to far nicer than the S/market ones. Nowadays i buy a bagful un cookedat a bakery, keep them in the freezer seen there is only two of us at home now and bake as needed, my fav lunch with prawns etc yum. lol.