Help please re banoffee type dessert

chrisbarton, Dec 18, 3:13am
Hi all. I made a "free form" banoffee type pie based on a delicious one I had at District Dining: layers of ground oreo crumbs, coffee laced whipped cream, caramel condensed milk and banana slices (and I put ground up brownie crumbs on top). Was delicious BUT everyone said it was a shame it had banana in it / it was too bananary. Want to do it for Xmas - anyone have bright ideas of what I could sub the bananas with but keep the other ingredients! Would blackberries work with caramel!

245sam, Dec 18, 3:29am
chrisbarton, I love banoffee pie so I personally would not substitute the bananas however I understand your wish to do so but I'm not sure that blackberries would be right.I actually wondered about leaving the fruit part of the dessert out all together but failing that I also wondered about apples and for that I'm thinking of the solid-pack canned apples that are obviously cooked but firm and not syrupy - alternatively very-drained home stewed apples but IMO they would need to be very well-drained to prevent your dessert being too moist.

Hope that helps.:-))

chrisbarton, Dec 18, 3:30am
Thanks I never thought of apples!

chrisbarton, Dec 18, 3:31am
Leaving the fruit out might be the way. Maybe a layer of chocolate or fudge sauce! Grrr I'm so not a dessert person!

245sam, Dec 18, 3:40am
chrisbarton, with the Oreo crumbs + the brownie crumbs IMO your dessert doesn't need "a layer of chocolate or fudge sauce" or it may become so chocolatey that the caramel flavour is overpowered.I suggest that you leave the fruit out and make your dessert a no-fruit chocolate-caramel treat - a combination that I couldn't refuse, although I'd also be happy with either bananas or apples - with the fruitI could be convinced that it was.a little guilt-free!;-))

ange164, Dec 18, 4:19am
I would try stewed apple or diced apple as given above, and use them to dilute the banana flavor rather than eliminate it all together. Perhaps one banana sliced or mashed through the apple.

biggles45, Dec 18, 4:25am
Oranges go well with chocolate too, so perhaps a tin of mandarin orange segments well drained, (and pat dry with a clean tea towel or kitchen wipe). The citrus will cut the sweetness a bit.

sarahb5, Dec 18, 4:25am
Ha ha - I'm trying to imagine what would be the point of having banoffee pie without the banana - they put the "ban" in banoffee after all!

I'm doing a basic banoffee pie in individual serving glasses for Christmas Eve dessert so will be just malt biscuit crumbs with melted butter and cinnamon, sliced banana, caramel condensed milk and whipped cream with maybe another slice or two of lemon dipped banana on top.This is at Mr 15's request - apparently it's his favourite dessert - I don't know how he knows this though because I've never made it!

245sam, Dec 18, 4:48am
Earlier I also thought of the orange flavour going well with both chocolate and caramel/toffee but I disregarded that thought because IMO the juice from the oranges/mandarins may combine with the caramelised sweetened condensed milk + the cream to make the dessert too moist/watery, especially as it's a free-form dessert - according to chrisbarton, it'sa "banoffee-type" dessert and not actually a banoffee pie.
:-))

chrisbarton, Dec 18, 5:05am
Ok what about sliced strawberries would that work.!

245sam, Dec 18, 5:15am
IMO, strawberries would be (a) too juicy and (b) strawberries would detract completely from the caramelly banoffee type dessert - if you really must include fruit how about ange164's suggestion of 'diluting' the banana flavour with apple!:-))

rayoz, Dec 21, 6:35am
best recipe ever for banoffee pie, Curtis Stone recipes in Relaxed cooking. Well worth a google :)

rarogal, Dec 22, 1:28am
I've made it with fresh pears, making sure they were quite ripe, but honestly bananas are best.