Help with layered jelly in a ring.

mums.toys, Dec 17, 4:30am
i saw a beaut looking layered jelly one layer was a dark boysenberry colour, another a light pink colour and another was white.i read the recipe and there was a boysenberry, strawberry and the white one was made with geletine and it was coconut flavour.my question is, is there a lazy way i can perhaps use a bought packet of jelly and some how make it white( perhaps using coconut creme or condensed milk instead of water) rather than faff around making coconut flavoured jelly myself

245sam, Dec 17, 4:45am
mums.toys, sorry I can't help you with any positive tried and tested suggestions/advice however IMO the only way to be sure that you get a white coconut-flavoured jelly is to make it with coconut milk/cream and gelatine.Alternatively I wonder if you could use lemonade flavoured jelly crystals and coconut milk/cream but I believe that that coconut-flavoured jelly would have a green tinge to it because the lemonade jelly crystals have an additive which is a green colouring.

Hope that helps.:-))

olwen, Dec 17, 4:48am
We used to do a traffic light jelly about 100 years ago (okay maybe 50).We would use a red, yellow (pineapple I think) and green.Red or green first in the bowl, a little less water than normal.When that was set the yellow yelly.This had evaporated milk added.I don't remember the quantity, but I'd think about 1/2 water and half evaporated milk.Lemon jelly might had curdled the milk which is why I think it was pineapple.You would want to dissolve the jelly in hot water then add the condensed milk.That needed to be cool before it was poured on the lower level.Then the other coloured jelly.

I see no reason why you shouldn't use coconut cream in this sort of dessert.

Check your local asian shops though.They might have a coconut jelly (although it might use agar rather than gelatine).

olwen, Dec 17, 4:53am
PS should add that this gave an opaque yellow layer.A pannacotta recipe would give your white layer, and is really not hard.

mums.toys, Dec 17, 5:01am
i should have said the white layer dosnt have to be coconut flavour! thanks heaps guys

sarahb5, Dec 18, 4:31am
I think you should be able to make "white" jelly from the lemonade flavour jelly if you make it up with half milk and half water.

fifie, Dec 18, 9:44am
Milk. sugar and gelatine will work for white jelly,