Jam making stiring or not

eljayv, Dec 16, 5:09am
So most recipes say stir to cook fruit but when sugar is added stir till disolved then boil hard without stiring but if I do that I find the saucepan burns on the bottom and if I keep stiring it takes ages to cook.What's the story!

elsielaurie1, Dec 16, 7:20am
Boiling doesn't mean boiling fiercely. Try a gently simmer.

uli, Dec 16, 7:53am
It also depends on the thickness of the bottom of your pan.

eljayv, Dec 16, 6:35pm
That is what I would think but the recipe stated a rolling boil.

antoniab, Dec 16, 6:43pm
My jam i had to get up to 210 to get it to set - that was a fierce rolling boil and I only stirred occasionally BUT I did use a good heavy copper bottomed saucepan. If I used my Zip one it probably would have stuck!

asue, Dec 16, 6:44pm
You need a heavier bottom pot.Once a pot burns like that it will keep doing it regardless of what you do.

pickles7, Dec 16, 7:58pm
once burned it will always burn.
Buy a preserving pan, the wider top makes for faster evaporation and the jam will set faster. I like to let it boil hard.

jam testing
sugar thermometer test for jam.
Boil until 111 deg. C or 222 deg. F. put jam into hot jars, put the lids on while hot.

****** test for pectin
1 tsp of juice, 3 tsp of methylated spirits. shake gently leave 1 minute, . The juice will clot firmly if there is enough pectin. If it doesn't it may pay to add some.
King.jam setting.mix.pectin base.Handy to have in your pantry.

eljayv, Dec 16, 8:15pm
pickles7
Thanks picklesfor your detailed explanation.Weused a stock pot with a heavy bottom plus candy thermometer and I have used the pan before with successbut my son was making it this time and it does take a long time to get to 220c
I hope this is not the end of my pot

pickles7, Dec 16, 8:27pm
I see you covered the burn bit.
I have had two preserving pans for about 30 years now, both have very heavy bottoms. I am not sure about the stainless steel preserving pans.
I do stir jams every now and then. Since using the sugar thermometer I am sure I get and extra few jars of jam. Once jam is ready to set it evaporates very fast, maybe that's when its more likely to burn.

dezzie, Dec 16, 9:25pm
its not 220c.its 111c and 220 F.if you are trying to get to 220c then yes, I'd say it'd burn on anything.