Lactose free Christmas recipes? - for gifts

nunesy, Dec 13, 3:23am
I've had a hunt through various threads but was wondering if someone has a good recipe for a lactose free sweet truffle/ball/baking item that is 'special' enough to be given as a gift, and also delicious!I have given savoury gifts before but think a sweet one would be nice this time.Thanks.

indy95, Dec 13, 3:39am
Nunesy, I'm sure I have some recipes but will have to check.

245sam, Dec 13, 4:27am
nunesy, I found a recipe from the former Trademe Cooks however it won't suit your requirements unless you are able to use a lactose-free biscuit or some alternative.Here's the recipe anyway, in case it's of use to you.

"Apricot balls
These are so yummy and i make them all the time. you need 250g dried apricots, 3/4c orange juice, 1/2t citrus acid, 1c icing sugar, 1c coconut, 1c biscuit crumbs & 1c extra coconut. Place apricots,orange juice & citric acid in a saucepan & bring to the boil. Reduce the heat & simmer for 15min. Leave until cool, place in the food processor and puree. Transfer to lge bowl and add icing sugar, coconut and biscuit crumbs. Mix well. Roll into walnut size balls and coat well with coconut. Store in fridge.
posted by deekaz"

Hope that helps.:-))

mumstu, Dec 13, 5:00am
Mini coloured meringues.Make up the mix and devide into 3.Add green to one third, red to the other third and leave some plain.

Make in small teaspoon amounts so when they cook they are this size of the old 50c pice.

You can add hundreds and thousands to the top or the meringues before cooking if you like.

I have put an asortment of these in a nice jar and given them as gifts, especially to those lactose or gluten free.

nunesy, Dec 13, 6:36am
Thanks for these ideas.Yum, meringues!The apricot one sounds amazing but unfortunately I don't have a food processor!Might have to borrow one.

indy95, Dec 14, 12:50am
Nunesy, I have searched in vain for lactose-free recipes which I'm sure were in a magazine but unfortunately it seems to have gone in a recent "pruning" of my magazine collection. I know there are many recipes available online so that could be worth checking.

carlos57, Dec 14, 3:13am
Here's a recipe for nice, rich chocolate truffles. You would need to replace the butter with a dairyfree tablespread (which I haven't tried), but it might be worth a go. Also, make sure that the dark chocolate doesn't contain any dairy products. I usually use Whittakers Dark Block.

115g butter
170g dark chocolate
2 cups icing sugar
½ tsp essence of choice

Melt chocolate and butter together. Stir in 1 cup icing sugar, essence, and second cup of icing sugar. Roll into balls and coat with chocolate hail. Refrigerate.

nunesy, Dec 14, 3:16am
Thanks carlos57 and thanks for looking indy95!