Fudge slice from H&J Smiths 45 years ago!

sylvia, Dec 13, 12:31am
A friend is anxious to see if anyone has the recipe from the Invercargill tea rooms of H & J Smiths from approx 45 years ago. Apparently it had a different flavour and they wouldnt diivulge at the time what the recipe was so we are hoping that one of you know it! Thank you.

sylvia, Dec 13, 10:27am
Thanks for bumping. Will try and keep this up there for the weekend! I'm picking maybe the cooks there are quite old now or not around anymore, but maybe a family member could have the recipe in an old book of their Mums! Here's hoping anyway as I am intrigued myself now.

retired, Dec 13, 8:50pm
Would love to know if anyone has the recipe tucked away somewhere!

makespacenow, Dec 13, 10:43pm
Have you thought of contacting retirement homes in the area to see if anyone know someone who might have worked there! Or write to local paper.

melford, Dec 14, 5:14am
have u contacted H & J Smith itself!They may be able to put you in contact with the appropriate person

melford, Dec 14, 5:18am
I did a search on here and found this recipe that was made 35 years ago - maybe the one
•125 gms Butter
•1/2 C Sugar
•1 T Cocoa
•1 Egg
•1 t Vanilla Essence
•1 Packet Round wine Biscuits
Directions
1.Crush Biscuits roughly or how preferred, set aside.
2.Melt slowly in a pot the Butter, Sugar and Cocoa until blended.
3.Remove from heat and mix in Egg and Vanilla Essence.
4.Pour over Crushed biscuits.
5.Press into slice tin and place in fridge to set.

sue1955, Dec 16, 11:19pm
The above recipe is the one that I've been doing for the last 40yrs. It often didn't get a chance to be iced. Makes a lovely slice that only uses a 1/2cup sugar so that's got to be good.