Anyone know of a nice SIMPLE Kumera salad recipe!?

bigmacca11, Dec 9, 12:52am
anyone know of a nice Kumera salad recipe!

shellz213, Dec 9, 12:57am
This is the one I use which is really easy and yum :)

1 kg kumara (tho I just use how many kumaras I have)
1 orange, skinned and chopped
1 small onion, chopped
mayonnaise
2 rashers bacon
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup sliced celery
chopped parsley

Peel and cook kumaras, cool slightly and cut into cubes.Fry bacon until very crisp, remove and crumble.Pour hot bacon fat over kumara and mix well (I don't always do this step).Cool.Add remaining ingredients and enough mayonnaise to bind together.

fifie, Dec 9, 2:31am
Kumera and orange salad.
Orange kumera,2 oranges,red onion, spring onions or chives, parsley.
Dressing. 2 tblsp red wine vinegar,2 tblsp olive oil, 2 tblsp sugar, s/gr pepper.
Peel kumera cut into thick chunks, cookin steamer till just crunch tender (dosen't take long). Cool. Remove orange zest and keep, then cut skin off and cut into segments, do this over a bowl to keep any juice, Keepif there is any. Peel onion slice thinly into rings. Chop chives or slice spring onions. Mix redwine vinegar, oil, salt pepper, sugar, orange zest and orange juice if you have any all together by shaking in a jar with lid on. Put cooled kumera in a bowl add onion rings, orange segments, chives or spring onions, pour over pre mixed dressing and toss well to coatChill well before serving can add a little chopped parsley if you want.

clawed2, Dec 9, 2:40am
instead of oranges drained tin mandarins are very nice

perle, Dec 9, 3:54am
roast kumara in cubes cool -pour over mint sauce- simple- light n fresh yum. serve it chilled

red2, Dec 9, 4:34am
roast kumara in cubes. While still warm , but not hot , mix together your fav mayo with some curry powder ( to taste ) and combine this well with the cooked kumara . Even nicer with some cooked bacon thru it . Can serve it warm or cold.

zappi, Dec 9, 7:58pm
out of the heart foundation cookbook.Haven't got the book with me but from memory this is what you do just not sure about measurements.Cook Kumara (we just steam) skin on and cut up into small pieces or dice.Add some sliced up spring onion, peanuts, and when cool just before serving a sliced banana.The dressing is just raw sugar, oil and lemon juice mixed together and drizzled over the top and tossed thru.The banana sounds weird but it is really nice.If you need more accurate measurements I'll dig out the book.

gennie, Dec 9, 9:13pm
I make this one.It is very yummy.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sweet-Potato-Salad-with-Orange-Maple-Dressing-108237

Sweet potato's of course being kumera.Tips - Don't over cook your kumera (I once read somewhere that to cook cubed kumera, put in a pot with cold water and then put on the heat, basically very soon after it boils it will be cooked).I like to swap the raisins with crasins and walnuts for pecans.

bridget107, Dec 9, 9:16pm
This one is nice and simple and you can switch the pumpkin for the kumara! http://aftertasteblog.wordpress.com/2012/04/10/warm-roast-pumpkin-salad/

mackenzie2, Dec 9, 9:35pm
Mine is simple and very tasty. Chop and peel kumera into cubes, toss them is sundried tomato oil, then roast till tender, put onto platter, then top with cubed feta, toasted pumpkin seeds and sundried tomato cut in strips. I prefer this cold or just warm, Can use pumpkin and carrot with it also gives it great texture

wheelz, Dec 10, 10:12am
The Edmonds book has the nicest I've tasted/ made.

leebee35, Dec 10, 10:17am
This is the best ever recipe. I make it with red & orange Kumar. It's a huge hit and I get asked to make this all the time. I'm sure it's in a womens weekly recipe book.

ursula4, Dec 10, 7:59pm
kumara, aioli (just enough to coat), streaky bacon all served on baby spinach and diced toms if wanted. salt and pepper. dont enjoy kumara with fruit (oranges and bananas)
Or. bite sized roast kumara (thats been tossed in some smoked garlic salt) and serve cold and tossed (or sprinkled over top) with lettuce/spinach, and the usual garden bits, cucs, baby toms, spring onions, capsi . nice and fresh

fisherlures, Dec 11, 10:43am
You want SIMPLE easy and quick.
Kumara Salad
3 - 4 orange kumaraBest Foods mayo1 red onion.
Peel and cube kumara. "Steam" till tender. Let cool. Mix with a few tablespoons mayo and chopped red onion.Let sit for an hour or two in fridge before serving.