Sweet Short Pastry

accroul, Dec 7, 10:04pm
I have a question.
All recipes I've seen say to rub the butter into the flour/sugar mix. What would happen if I creamed the butter & sugar then added the flour!

harrislucinda, Dec 7, 10:08pm
itwillmakeadifferenceasrubbinginmakeslikebread--crumbstexturebeforeaddingliquidsCreamingwillmorecakeliketexture----dontforget to freezebeforeusingthatsmythoughts

245sam, Dec 7, 11:26pm
accroul, I have a recipe that was given to me by a very good cook who is now sadly no longer with us.Itis made by the creaming method and can be used for "bake blind tarts, Christmas tarts, apple pies, etc".I have not however used it for that - instead I use the variation that she gave me to make a Christmas shortcake by adding crystallised ginger, glace cherries and chocolate - chopped or chips.

Please ask if you'd like the recipe.:-))

accroul, Dec 8, 12:48am
245sam - would it work for xmas mince pies!
If you think so, then yes please!

245sam, Dec 8, 1:22am
accroul, yes - as I quoted in my posting at #3."can be used for bake blind tarts, Christmas tarts, apple pies, etc" - those were the words of the no-longer with us fantastic cook and I know she made beautiful Christmas tarts/mince pies. I'll post the recipe soon.:-))

245sam, Dec 8, 1:30am
CHRISTMAS SHORTCAKE
280g butter
170g icing sugar
1 small egg
vanilla essence
455g flour
½ tsp baking soda
½-¾ cup each of glace cherriesandpreserved/crystallised ginger
½-¾ cup chocolate chipsorchopped dark chocolate

Cream the butter and icing sugar, then beat in the egg and vanilla essence.
Sift the flour and baking soda together, then add and mix well.Lastly add the chopped cherries and ginger, and the chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate.Mix well, then place the mixture into a sponge roll tin and smooth it out.
Bake at160ºC-180ºC, until light golden in colour.
Cool and cut as desired.
Note:Use a mixture of red and green for a real Christmassy look).
This shortcake can also be used for bake-blind tarts, fruit mince pies, apple pies, etc.:-))

accroul, Dec 8, 2:38am
Awesome, thankyou 245sam!