Vacuum sealer: any suggestions re use/purchase?

unicstudent, Dec 3, 8:52pm
Hi - I have been interested for a while in a vacuum sealer and wonder whether anyone has any comments regarding their use, and/or any recommendations re models or features to look for when purchasing. Like anything I am sure you get what you pay for and wouldn't mind spending just a little more to avoid the pitfalls of cheaper models that may not perform as well. Thanks in advance.

mike844, Dec 3, 9:02pm
just get the shark lift away because it really works and I clean a school

unicstudent, Dec 3, 9:05pm
Thanks Mike, but I think we are confused. I am thinking of the system that removes air from bags of food etc so you can freeze or keep them longer :)

cookiebarrel, Dec 4, 1:39am
unicstudent, I have one that I bought to make freezer bags into liners for my cake icing bags.Less wear and tear on my main bags that way.Then got into using it for freezing stuff, sealing bags of things that I wanted to keep dust free, moisture free or small items together in one place when storing for a time.It works brilliantly and when my first one gave up the ghost due to old age, I did without for a while and really missed it so bought a new one.Different brand as I couldn't get one of the old ones.New one is a Sunbeam.I found that once I had one there were so many different things I found to use it for.Mine also has a function that removes air from bottles, but I haven't used that yet.Really should try it though.Bit like having a car that can do 180k, don't need too but a shame not to try it out (in an approved manner, in an approved place of course.) ;-)

mike844, Dec 4, 1:44am
hi sry I've also got a award vac sealer bag maker which I got from winloves 100% store which is ok and you can get the plastic to make the bags from the warehouse as well

unicstudent, Dec 6, 10:37pm
Thanks for this - thanks cookie barrel, Hahaha - love the analogy!:D I am mainly interested in food storage for freezing (to prevent freezer burn and prolong storage time) and also keen to try using for poaching food.

cookiebarrel, Dec 8, 1:50am
unicstudent, yep done the poaching food thing as well.Worked really well. Also especially handy when three different kinds of veges required in one meal by 3 different people.Still only had to use one pot.I found it great for poached eggs, doing 3 different kinds of food, once again able to use just one pot and so easy to clean up afterwards.Another thing I have done is reheat the meat or other part of the meal at the same time as cooking the rest of it.I know use the microwave.but when especially in winter you have the woodburner on to warm the house and heat the water cylinder, why not use it for another power saving reason. Found it great when travelling and wanting to stop and have a quickish hot feed when in the middle of no-where.Water heating in billy for a cup of tea while the quick meal was re-heating at the same time.
I also found it great for extending the storage life of frozen goodies.I have never regretted getting my two.

unicstudent, Dec 9, 7:51am
Thanks cookiebarrel - I watched a demo at a local show and the 'bells and whistles' model they offered had a manual stop start for liquidy things such as soup, and, perhaps as you suggest, eggs. Did your model have this! Do you think it necessary! They suggested that this was important as you needed to stop the vacuum process as it was sucking air when it got to the liquid, as it could keep going and create muck/mess/mayhem!! Thanks :)

cookiebarrel, Dec 9, 10:28am
Mine is a Sunbeam Foodsaver.Has a 'port' hole where you insert the tube for using with bottles, like I said never used it before though, but believe you have to watch that doesn't start to suck out the liquid.Been looking for my instruction manuel so I could give full and correct info, but I have misplaced that.Possibly put it somewhere safe ;-)It has the seal and vaccum function that I use for the plastic bags of stuff and soup comes into that category.Never had it suck out the liquid, though in saying that because it is so quick I usually hold the bag till it's sealed as a precaution to bag pulling at seal and possibly leaking.Think I might be putting too much into one bag, trying to save bags.Most likely bit of false economy on my part.Other items that I am just sealing without the vaccum I leave to get on with it, till wee light tells me sealing is complete.Mine has a seperate button for just seal.With vaccum/seal green light comes on when vaccum funcction is complete and red light when it's sealed.Also by pushing seal button it stops vaccuming and seals.(Wish it did do the other vaccuming!)The vaccum function is handy, my old one didn't have that just sealed and I miss it's simplicity.Thankfully haven't yet had the muck/mess/mayhem!

cookiebarrel, Dec 9, 10:30am
Oh and also if I am using the supermarket freezer bags which I often do, they are a thinner stuff, actually much thinner and I always put it into one bag, seal and then put it into a second one,

rosel4, Dec 9, 2:30pm
I just use the cheap warehouse model.Works well but if I'd had more cash I'd try the above.Thanks!

dreamers, Dec 9, 6:27pm
Have a sunbeam foodsaver,got it from the good guys .Love it ,we use it mostly for smoked salmon we have done ourselves.