Help! My vegetarian teenager has been invited on a

vat, Nov 29, 9:09am
3 day tramp and I have no idea what food to send with him.Suggestions please

floralsun, Nov 29, 9:31am
What are the others taking, what cooking facilities will be available, if any! What foods does he like that could be suitable! Rice & pasta based meals would work on a fire or camp hut, and are light to carry.

ange164, Nov 29, 9:36am
baked potatoin tinfoil and tin of chilli beans with avocado on top.
Fruit.
Vegetarian sausages and bread and sauce.
Cereal and tinned fruit.
Scroggen.
Eggs and a frypan with dehydrated veggies soaked and thrown in.
It may not be the most balanced diet, but it's only for three days.

vat, Nov 29, 9:52am
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm also up against the fact he's fussy and no longer likes spaghetti and baked beans.Had thought about the vegetarian sausages but of course once opened there would be no way of refrigerating the unused ones for the next day. Will be making a call to the others parents tomorrow. maybe I should just give him the large packet of weetbix. I guess I could boil some eggs in advance as they wouldn't need to be refrigerated if we left them in-shell would they!He tends to live on weetbix and rice crackers (the polystyrene ones as my husband calls them) and dairy which of course would be difficult.

vat, Nov 29, 10:55am
He doesn't know the meaning of the words ;(

beaker59, Nov 29, 12:29pm
I am not a vegetarian but do spend allot of time in the bush (hunting :)) I looked at what I take which can be counted as Vegetarian and easy, points to remember with tramping cuisine is it needs to be light(as in not weigh much as it has to be carried in) easy to cook and calory dense.

Porridge I put in a small zip lock bag half a cup of oatmeal 2 teaspoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of milk powder and a pinch of salt. This each morning I take my large stainless mug then bring 500ml of water to the boil then add the bag of premix and stir vigourously then allow to stand for 5 min before eating (I make coffee in the mug afterwrds which does 2 things it cleans the mug and I like the taste of porridge in my coffee wierd EH!

Put a half cup of potato flakes in a ziplock bag with a pinch or two of salt take a few tablespoons of 5 min dried peas in another ziplock bag in 500ml boiling water add the peas when the peas are ready tip in the potato flakes and stir viola mash potato and peas really satisfying would work with the vege sausages etc I usually have it with really spicy salami myself.

I have been doing this for a very long time and have my routines and favourites I take as much as I can in ziplock bags as they can be burnt in a fire or dropped in bottom of pack for disposal at home, don't leave rubbish behind. I have a small gas cooker and a large stainless mug (a cheap warehouse one) I do all my cooking in this. It holds 3 cups of water so is really a small saucepan with a handle :). Think weight 1 Kg feels like 5 after a 4 hour walk with it on your back.

Then theres all the muesli bars and chocolate :) did I mention Chocolate

frances1266, Nov 29, 6:09pm
2 minute noodles, some dehydrated veg to add to noodles, pkt soups,
pkt dried pasta meals, scroggin. Not healthy but wont hurt for a couple of days.Dont imagine he would want to be carrying tins of food or other heavy items.You can buy veg salami style sticks which are yummy. Chocolate of course, Sanitarium make a good veg bacon, also veg hot dogs.

ruby19, Nov 29, 6:40pm
Cup a soups, in the supermarkets, they have pasta pouches by wattles that are meat free, curries & rice pouches that are heat and eat, these are seperate, but could be heated up in one pot. They are stored on the shelves so need no refridgeration. Or try the camping stores they may have vegetarian freeze dried meals.

vat, Nov 30, 4:46am
Thank you so much everyone, some great ideas there

1oliverk, Dec 1, 4:06am
We used to have refried beans on tramps, dont taste too bad.

cleo444, Dec 1, 4:38am
Pack some snack bags of nuts too

genpat, Dec 2, 6:19am
Husband and son just did big motor bike /camping trip and had lots of rice based meals,they got very creative adding dried fruit to porridge,trail mix,mixed nuts,museli bars,soup in a cup etc. He will be fine.

jody23, Dec 2, 8:59am
you can also buy pasta dishes in a foil pack from the pasta section at the supermarket which just need to be heated in a pot.

kuaka, Dec 2, 9:34am
He will probably become less fussy the more hungry he gets!

duckmoon, Dec 2, 10:53am
What about the "high country"brand of freeze dried food, from Kathmandu

Do they do vegetarian meals

thewomble1, Dec 2, 12:25pm
no need to take any food.plenty of grasses, weeds, leaves all around him.

roshu, Dec 3, 6:35am
Leftover sausages!! My teen would eat 4 then the other two as a snack later!

elliehen, Dec 3, 6:40am
If you worry too much about him, he might send you a photo like this ;)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/8003970/Cliff-hanging-photo-goes-viral