I have this receipe for Spicey Muffins - to make

elsielaurie1, Nov 24, 8:05pm
them more 'chrismassy' would it be possible to place a tsp fruit mince in each one when in the muffin casewithout upsetting the final result!And perhaps would I also need to cut back on the spices as well.! Oh, and what can I replace the cooking oil with.Hubby doesn't like the taste.

Recipe Ingredients for Spicy Muffins
2cups flour
1egg, well beaten
3/4cups sugar
1cup milk
1/4cups cooking oil
1tbsp cinnamon
1/2tsp nutmeg
1/4tsp ginger
1/4tsp ground cloves
3tsp baking powder
1tsp salt
Recipe Directions for Spicy Muffins
Combine all ingredients, stirring with a fork just to moisten ingredients. Spoon into greased muffin tins; bake at 425*F (220oC) for 15-20 minutes.

lx4000, Nov 24, 8:17pm
sounds good!
You could add some to it. He shouldn't taste the oil.

lx4000, Nov 24, 8:21pm
BREAKFAST MUFFINS

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups (275g) sugar
2 cups (300g) plain flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 cup sultanas
1 cup desiccated coconut

2 cups grated carrot
1 cup grated apple

1 cup chopped walnuts

3 eggs

1 cup (250ml) vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Icing sugar, to dust

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180degC.

2. Sift sugar, flour, cinnamon and powder into a large bowl.

Add sultanas, carrot, apple, coconut and walnuts.

In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, oil and vanilla.

3. Add to the dry ingredients and fold until just combined - do not over mix.

4. Spoon into muffin pans and bake for

25 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve dusted with icing sugar.

You can add and change the fruit and nuts in this one easily:)

245sam, Nov 24, 9:07pm
elsielaurel1, maybe you'd like to try this recipe.

Alison Holst’s CHRISTMAS MINCEMEAT MUFFINS
1¾ cups self-raising flour
¾ cup caster sugar
½ tsp salt
2 eggs
½ cup each ofsour creamandmilk
½ tsprum,whiskyorbrandy essence
½ cup Christmas (fruit) mincemeat

Measure the first three ingredients into a large bowl.
In another bowl mix together with a whisk, until smooth, the eggs, sour cream, milk and essence of your choice.Without overmixing add the liquids to the dry ingredients.
Coat 12 medium sized muffin pans with Chef Mate non-stick spray and half fill the 12 pans with the mixture.Using a dampened teaspoon, make a small indentation on the top of each, and into it put 1-2 teaspoons of the mincemeat.Cover each with a spoonful of the remaining mixture trying to cover the "enclosed" mincemeat.
Bake at200°Cforabout 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.The centres should spring back when pressed.:-))

sarahb5, Nov 24, 9:19pm
Adding a teaspoonful of fruit mince should be fine - I'd 2/3 fill the muffin case with mixture then the fruit mince then cover it with more muffin mix.I wouldn't reduce the spices but then I like spices!

As for the oil, you could use melted butter but sunflower oil is pretty much tasteless - what cooking oil do you usually use that he can taste it!Would he be able to taste it if you told him a little white lie, ie. made them with the oil but told him you'd made them with melted butter instead!I find using oil keeps them softer and fresher for longer than using butter.What the eye doesn't see, etc.

accroul, Nov 24, 10:14pm
Fruit 'usually' sinks which is why most recipes I've seen also include baking soda. I'd put all the mix you need into each mufin cup, then put a spoon of fruit mince on top - by the time the batter cooks, the mince might be 1/2 way down, if you put the mince in the middle, by the time the batter cooks, the mince may have fallen to the bottom. My theory. Results may differ.

sarahb5, Nov 24, 11:04pm
But fruit mince is more like jam than just dried fruit and if you want a jammy middle to your muffins you put that in and then cover it with more muffin mixture.Jam (and fruit mince) tend to boil and expand upwards when they're cooked.

245sam, Nov 24, 11:23pm
I agree with sarahb5 that if wanting muffins with a fruit mince centre the way to do so would be to put some of the muffin mixture in the tin first, then add the fruit mince right in the centre of the mixture and top it with the remaining mixture so that the fruit mince is fully enclosed.

IMO any fruit mince that is not enclosed by muffin mixture will most likely burn hence my reasoning that the fruit mince or jam, caramel or any other sweet/sticky 'surprise filling' must be fully enlosed within the muffin.

Hope that helps.:-))

elsielaurie1, Nov 25, 12:24am
Thanks Ladies for all your very helpful tips.