Bangers & mash.what to do for a 90yr old birthday

Page 1 / 2
tramore, Nov 23, 3:48am
I am giving a friend his 90th birthday lunch, combining it with our 86yr old son's birthday party and would like ideas for bangers and mash.the 90 yr old requested this for his lunch.What recipes could I use.I am after ideas please!

franken1, Nov 23, 3:53am
You have an 86 year old son and still cook. I'm impressed.

sossie1, Nov 23, 3:54am
TOAD IN THE HOLE.and lashings of gravy

elliehen, Nov 23, 4:12am
That's got to be a misprint!

sarahb5, Nov 23, 4:28am
What's wrong with just that - bangers and mash!Do it old style with baked beans or onion gravy - make a volcano shaped mound with the mash, put the sausages upright around the mound and pour the beans or gravy over the top for the lava.My hubby and 15 year old had this for dinner last night.Bangers and mash to me means just that - toad in the hole isn't the same (yummy but just not the same)

uli, Nov 23, 4:36am
Wow - you must be over 100 years old :)

uli, Nov 23, 6:49am
And that killed the thread LOL :)

red2, Nov 23, 7:22am
My mum used to split sausages in half lengthwise but not quite to the bottom if you know what i mean - pipe some mashed potato thru the centre line and squeeze a line of tomato sauce along the top . Brown in oven and eat !

cloudberry, Nov 23, 7:46am
Tramore, please come back and explain how you have an 86 year old son! Inquiring minds want to know!

gardie, Nov 23, 7:57am
I was impressed that someone with an 86 year old son had computer knowledge!Trying to get my hubby onto it and he's got a fair few years to go before he even reaches 86!

uli, Nov 23, 8:00am
Could be an "inherited" son from a previous marriage and she could be 70 or younger LOL :)

Since they live in my hometown I am wondering if I have met them:)

But maybe not: ".We endeavour to trade with honesty and integrity at all times without exception in order that God will be glorified."

sarahb5, Nov 23, 8:29pm
That sounds so good - bangers and mash should be bangers and mash, yes you can have good sausages and decent mash but the basics should still be the same if that's what you want for your birthday!One year my brother requested kippers and apple pie - thankfully on separate plates but it was his birthday so his choice.

rainrain1, Nov 24, 3:51am
Don't mess with a good thing.give him bangers and mash with gravy like he asked for.no recipe needed!

elliehen, Nov 24, 4:01am
I agree.I gave in to a special request once for poached eggs on mashed potato with a sprinkling of cheddar.Seemed a bit blah to me, but it was a banquet to the person who craved it!

lythande1, Nov 24, 4:02am
How patronising.
And why shouldn't they!
I taught someone (a bit younger than this person) but until me, they got the same pathetic attitude, you're too old.
Everyone thinks it's young people, well hey, who invented all this stuff! And how old are they now!

elliehen, Nov 24, 4:08am
That's not patronising at all.It's genuine incredulity that someone who is one hundred and one (gave birth at 15!) is busy posting on the messageboards and wondering what to cook.

I'll wager it's a typo.The friend is 90 but the son is probably 6 or 8, rather than 86 and the cook is trying to fit two disparate birthdays together.

elliehen, Nov 24, 4:12am
A little sleuthing has revealed that tramore is most unlikely to have an 86-year-old son.She is contemplating buying a new car.At the age of 101 (at least!) that would be very unusual ;)

Edited to add:Note that tramore says she wants it to last for years!

buddynz1, Nov 24, 4:12am
either that or its a windup

uli, Nov 24, 4:25am
Usual thing OP poster never comes back .
too busy buying the bangers I guess!

tramore, Nov 24, 7:21am
We adopted him a few years ago and said we'd look after him till he went to heaven as he has no family.

tramore, Nov 24, 7:21am
We adopted him a few years ago and said we'd look after him till he went to heaven as he has no family.I can see the great interest in my family life.so there you go, now you know.My husband and I are a great deal younger but since we adopted him, we decided to be his "mum and dad"!It's a great joke between us all!Anyway, back to the real issue .since I am Irish, I want to really understand what bangers are since it's not a word I use.So it's just sausages.!

daisyhill, Nov 24, 7:29am
Yes, bangers are sausages! You can't have spent much time in Irish cafes and greasy spoons if you don't know that :P(I am Irish too BTW and spent a few summer weekends in Tramore back in the day!)

I think adopted relatives are a great idea. Some people need a family, and some want a family. Why not put them together!

dezzie, Nov 24, 7:32am
yes, just sausages, but some nice proper ones, and find out if he wants onion gravy or tomato sauce with it, or baked beans even.
And I love the idea of adopting an older person with no family, good on you, you and your husband obviously havebig hearts.

kinna54, Nov 24, 7:48am
Don't bother with all the fancy bits.The man wants bangers and mash.just sausages, gravy, and creamy, buttery, mashed potatoes. Add some sliced cookedonions if desired.(but not charred, more soft cooked so the onions are sweet)
At 90 if he has a bit of trouble cutting up things, or chewing them, you could cut the sausages into small pieces, after cooking. Serve them on the mash smothered in gravy.
Hope he enjoys every mouthful!

elliehen, Nov 24, 9:56am
tramore, thanks for solving the puzzle.and I hope you found the right car :)