Roasting Beef - sirloin or rump best?

beebs, Feb 22, 12:39am
sorry to bump this old thread, but i was wondering about a cooking time for a 2kg rump roast :)

angelay, Nov 20, 9:38am
I'm helping with catering a school function where we'll be roasting 2kg pieces of beef in a BBQ Roasting Oven (like a hooded bbq but specifically for roasting).Woud sirloin or rump be best for amatuer cooks to roast/carve!Info so far is that rump is cheaper & tastier, sirloin only more tender when done as thin steaks (which we're not), and sirloin is easier to carve.
Any advice!

kuaka, Nov 20, 10:02am
I can't help you much as I only ever roast topside, but if you're not experienced at carving meat, the most important things to remember is, sharp knife and always cut "across" the grain, not down it.

beaker59, Nov 20, 2:31pm
Go for rump it roasts well much cheaper and you can buy whole rumps and then cut down to size which would save some money and demonstrate how to butcher as well. can be done either well done (long and slow) or rare and well rested whereas long and slow is a bit of a waste for Sirloin.

kinna54, Nov 21, 6:58am
Rump will have a lot of flavour, but needs to Not be overcooked.
I have also done topside for functions, but needs to be *very slowly cooked* and OH YES! correctly cut!
To avoid dryness try coating the meat in this: Was recommended to me by a butcher years ago, and it keeps the meat moist, whilst adding flavour:
pkt *French Onion* Soup mix ( must be the French one for colour as well as flavour)
a couple of spoons of horseradish cream (to taste depending upon the size of the meat cut , err on the less side rather than more)
couple of spoons of whole grain mustard.
Mix it together into a thick paste and thickly coat the entire piece of meat. It tenderises as well as adding flavour.