Another ? for cake decorators please.

freds69, Nov 19, 9:49pm
I am making a 2 tier cake for my daughters 21st. Please can someone tell me.is the top tier to be on a thin cake board or does it go directly onto the bottom cake! Never done this before so any advice gratefully received.Thanks

kiwitrish, Nov 19, 10:05pm
Hi freds,
I answered you when you asked the other day, but just incase here is my reply again.Any problems just ask.
Yes you do need to put the cake on a thin board. Are you going to secure the cake to the bottom tier! If so you will need dowling sticks. These are pushed into the bottom tier with about an inch showing above the cake. Then make holes in the thin card (that you are going to put under the top tier) at the same place as the raised dowling. Then place the top tier on and push down to secure top tier so that it will not fall off.

You can omit the dowling stage if you are going to place the cake without it being moved.

freds69, Nov 19, 10:11pm
Sorry kiwitrish. I didnt read your post properly. Thanks so much. I have dowling to attach with so will give it a go.

bexta021, Nov 21, 8:14pm
Does this apply to all sorts of cakes includiing choc mud cake, I'm making one for a wedding!Hope it turns out ok !

bexta021, Nov 22, 12:57am
bump !