Orange and lemon marmalade

flier3, Nov 17, 1:36am
Hi all, I'm keen to try this if I can find a recipe - no joy yet, so I thought I'd try here. TIA.

harrislucinda, Nov 17, 3:57am
minecalledAkaroamarmalade
finelychoppeduporangesandlemonstoeverypintofchoppedfruitallow2pintswatersoakovernightthenboil2hrsmeasurepulptoeverypintadd1lbsugarboiluntilsets
sorryoldrecipebutgood

carlosjackal, Nov 17, 4:07am
I have a recipe for Three Fruit Marmalade (Orange, Lemon and Grapefruit) where you could omit the grapefruit and increase the volume of fruit with more oranges and lemons. Let me know if you'd like it and I'll post it here for you.

allviv, Nov 17, 5:39am
8 oranges
4 lemons
to each 500g fruit add
1.2 litres water
for every cup of pulp add 1 cup sugar
Cut fruit finely, then place in pan with water
Boil for 30mins,then leave 24hours
Add sugar and soak a further 1 hour
boil for 30mins then simmer 15 mins or longer until it sets when tested on a cold plate
Place in warm sterilized jars and cover

flier3, Nov 17, 5:51am
Yes please, carlosjackal, would love you to post it.Many thanks for the other recipes - Oranges are cheap and a handy supply or lemons mean that I have to get busy for Christmas gifts :)

carlosjackal, Nov 17, 8:43am
THREEFRUITMARMALADE (The Australian Womens's Weekly - The Book of Preserves)

 4 large oranges (880g)
 2 medium lemons (360g)
 1 medium grapefruit (390g)
 1 ¼litres water (5 cups)
 1 ½ kg sugar, approximately (6 cups)

Cut unpeeled fruit in half and cut the halves into thin slices. Remove the seeds/pips and put them in a piece of muslin - tied with string.

Combine fruit, muslin bag and water in bowl. Cover and stand overnight.
Transfer mixture to large saucepan, bring to boil, simmer, covered, for about 1 hour or until the rind is soft. Discard muslin bag.

Measure fruit mixture, return to pan and add ¾ cup sugar to each cup of fruit mixture.

Stir over heat, without boiling, until the sugar is dissolved.

Bring to the boil and boil uncovered, WITHOUT stirring, for about 40 minutes – or until marmalade jells when tested.

Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal when cold. Makes about 7 cups.

To Test For Pectin: Place 1 teaspoon of the strained fruit liquid in a glass and add 3 teaspoons of methylated spirits. Stir mixture gently with a teaspoon. If the mixture forms a fairly solid single jelly-like clot, the fruit liquid is high in pectin. Citrus fruits are rich in pectin anyway, so there is rarely any trouble getting citrus jams and jellies to set.

flier3, Nov 17, 8:45am
Many thanks for that - I can see I'm going to be busy :))

carlosjackal, Nov 17, 9:38am
You're most welcome. You will be busy, and you'll have fun making it. Making preserves is also so rewarding!