If you were buying a new oven. fanbake or not?

dibble35, Nov 14, 6:01pm
We are looking at buying a new oven, not an expensive one just the Westinghouse, lower end of the price range model. Mainly use the stove top but some baking. Would you buy the fanbake or ordinary model oven if you had the choice, havnt had much to do with fanbake ones in the past so not sure, anythings got to be an improvment on the awful oven we have at the moment. so hard to bake properly in, burns the tops etc TIA

accroul, Nov 14, 7:08pm
I would always go for an oven that I can have the option to turn fan bake on or off simply because I often bake multiple items.

snapperheadrkp, Nov 14, 8:16pm
I would defiantly go for the FANBAKE option. BUT ensure the model and make you buy has both the normal top and bottom elements for the normal bake mode and an element around the fan (behind the oven wall) for the fanbake mode.Some cheeky manufacturers just add a fan without the extra element to a normal oven and call it fanbake. I have had both types and thoroughly recommend the model with the 3 oven elements.If the salesperson does not know, get someone who understands to have a look at the wiring schematic in the book that comes with the stove. Our current F&P oven has the 3 elements and does both options brilliantly

kay141, Nov 14, 9:08pm
I agree. One of my daughters had one where the fan was on whenever the oven was on. Not good for a lot of things. You need the option. If I had to make a choice of the fan on whenever or no fan, I'd opt for no fan. But I'm fairly old and learnt to cook in a coal range.

bisloy, Nov 15, 12:17am
I agree with snapper and kay. Look carefully at the cooking selection options as soon have some very queer arrangements nowadays - one I know of has all the options apart from ordinary bake with the top and bottom elements going!

dibble35, Nov 15, 6:23am
Thanks for that, want to get a new oven before xmas as having xmas party at our house this year.

nik12, Nov 15, 11:16am
I have never had one with an element around the fan (we are dairy farmers so oven comes with house), but I would definantly go for one with a fan bake option. Even without the element around fan you can do three or four trays of buscuits at the same time, and roast vege are way better :-)