Mini Christmas cakes

flier3, Nov 14, 5:03am
This year, I want to make mini cakes to give as gifts, but am not sure how long to cook them for.Have mini loaf tins 9 x 5cm and will be able to make 16 cakes at a time (to save time and effort cutting up the large cakes evenly).The large cakes cook for 4.5 - 5 hours at 250 deg.Does anyone have an idea how long to cook them for!My guesses are usually w-a-y out.Many thanks.

fifie, Nov 14, 6:11am
I make mini cakesand cookthem in greased texas muffin tins with a circle of greasproof paper in the bottom, sit 2 magazines on the oven rack middle of the oven sit texas tins on top bake at temperature 125-130 degs for 70-80 mins, test with a toothpick and they were good. Leave in tins cool a little then wrap tin and cakes in a clean towel, they sit in the pantry till a weekbefore xmas when i ice or put nuts and a glaze on them then tie up in cellophane, always go down a treat with everyone, oh and make them about end nov so they don't dry out.

flier3, Nov 14, 6:54am
Oh, thank you SO much - I'll feel like Gulliver testing them with toothpicks!

cookessentials, Nov 14, 6:07pm
You can make a standard square cake and cut in to even square portions, then cover in marzipan and fondant and decorate with a Christmas ribbon etc, that way you do ot have to worry about cooking times and conversions.

mary92, Nov 15, 2:08am
I made some a couple of years ago , you cook them in a padded small terracotta pot, wrap in clear paper and tie with a tartan ribbon a real hit.
Ifanyone wants to know more I will try and find the details.