Cake Decorators help/advice please.

freds69, Nov 14, 1:53am
I am having a go at icing my first ever cake for my daughters 21st. Never done it before so any advice gratefully received please. A question I have is this.it is 2 layers of square mudcake. The top layer will be smaller and on a diagonal if that makes sense. Do I put the top layer on a board before putting it onto the bottom layer! I know this is probably a crazy question but as a novice I need lots of help. Thanks in advance

kiwitrish, Nov 14, 2:07am
Yes you do need to put the cake on a thin board.Are you going to secure the cake to the bottom tier!If so you will need dowling sticks.These are pushed into the bottom tier with about an inch showing above the cake.Then make holes in the thin card (that you are going to put under the top tier) at the same place as the raised dowling.Then place the top tier on and push down to secure top tier so that it will not fall off.

You can omit the dowling stage if you are going to place the cake without it being moved.

freds69, Nov 14, 5:07am
Thank you kiwitrish. Yes the cake will be travelling so will put the dowling sticks in. I appreciate you help

krazy_kat, Nov 20, 9:32am
Make sure you stick the top tier to the board with some icing as well.

punkinthefirst, Nov 21, 8:42pm
Yes, put the cake on a board, yes,put the dowelling in to support the top layer, but pack them separately for travel. Put the cake together when you get to the venue.

bexta021, Nov 25, 8:44am
If the cake is not going to be 'travelling' anywhere, do you still need the dowling or just the board to sit the top tier on.!!

sclaredy_cat, Nov 25, 10:07pm
Depends how heavy and/or soft the cake is. With fruit cake, or a two layer cake you'll probably be fine. I pretty much always use support in my bottom layers, never wanting to risk a collapse (having done several 5 layer cakes it's the stuff nightmares are made of) . But personally I very rarely use dowelling the way others do - I use mostly drinking straws cut to height, with boards in between, then if its a big cake - 3 tiers or more - I hammer a big dowel right through the centre of the whole thing.

sclaredy_cat, Nov 25, 10:12pm
The thought of putting a cake together somewhere other than my kitchen scares the h3ll out of me - I make sure they're well supported, sitting flat (or on my knee) and the driver is well experienced with the careful driving required for cake deliveries. Though I do carry an emergency repair kit (just in case!)