New Seasons Onions

wineo, Nov 11, 11:36pm
I noticed last week that the price of onions has increased dramatically, would it be because these are the new seasons, also if so has any one seen any new season pickling onions on the North Shore and where.TIA

uli, Nov 12, 1:21am
No they are last years which are now running low, so they increase the price if you want some - you pay!

New seasons will come out in January at the earliest.

wineo, Nov 12, 2:35am
thanks so much for response

ruby19, Nov 12, 6:41pm
Also potatoes have gone up, carrots, and avocados. Sure there are more price rises that went unnoticed.

uli, Nov 12, 10:58pm
Food prices are actually falling - as they do every spring:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm!c_id=3&objectid=10847055

nauru, Nov 13, 6:49am
Not at my supermarket they haven't.Prices are continuing to creep up every week, I never buy the same product for the same price.

kuaka, Nov 13, 7:05am
Nor at mine, the onions were almost twice the price they were a couple of weeks ago, and when I got them home, half of them were rotten in the middle, the potatoes aren't more expensive but they are absolute rubbish, kumara are $7.99 kg which I think is ridiculous regardless of whether they are in or out of season.The capsicums last week were $1.49 each or you could buy a pack of 3 for $7.99 - why would you!There were packs of two tiny lettuces with some fancy name (which I forget) and they were $4.99 a pack.What a rip off.

nauru, Nov 13, 7:14am
I have noticed that he potatoes aren't very good either.I usually get my veges at the local vege shop as they are always cheaper than the SM.By the way, I hope that you returned those onions for a refund.

nauru, Nov 13, 7:14am
I have noticed that the potatoes aren't very good either.I usually get my veges at the local vege shop as they are always cheaper than the SM.By the way, I hope that you returned those onions for a refund.

kuaka, Nov 13, 7:27am
Haven't been back yet, and the 5kg of potatoes which are still sitting out of the 10kg sack are going back next time I'm there as well.

uli, Nov 13, 8:00am
Amazing! And you are living not that far from me.

kuaka, Nov 13, 8:19am
If you are referring to my comment, it's true we might not live very far away from each other, but you have a choice of several supermarkets - I don't.
We have just a small Countdown here, and their prices favour them, not the customer.

uli, Nov 13, 8:21am
Yes Pak'n'Save are always the cheapest.
It gets very overcrowded in there now, worse every week.

fifie, Nov 13, 9:41am
Vegtables are very expensive at the moment. We are lucky in the deep south, eating our own lettuces, shallots, buying nice new potatoes ours along with carrots arn't quite ready yet. Wouldn't buy them at the supermarket at the moment,produce often not good this time of the year, veg/fruit mart is the place to go.

kuaka, Nov 13, 11:16am
We don't have a veg/fruit mart here either, although the farmers market does set up on the village green on a Thursday afternoon, but even they have been expensive lately and not much selection.

toadfish, Nov 13, 5:51pm
Are you much of a gardner!I am just starting, a real novice and for $24 outlay I got the following plants.
4 x Tomatoes (yellow cherry, red, cherry, beefsteak, money maker)
12 x mixed lettuces
6 x clumps of silverbeet.
6 x Scarlet runner beans
12 x sweetcorn
1 x yellow courgette
1 x green courgette
1 x lebanese cucumber
Basil
Parsley
coriander
I planted them 2 weeks ago and I am picking next week we wont be buying lettuces.Better than a fancy smancy $4.99 pack.
Then a few weeks after that my vegie bill wll reduce.
I didn't have a designated vegie patch as such, just dug over a house garden till we build one. but I must say I am hooked on watching them all grow.
My retired Parents planted 2 x troughs with 2 x punnets of mixed lettuces several months ago and haven't brought lettuces since.

ruby19, Nov 13, 6:55pm
Once our tramp has been removed from our lawn we are going to turn it into raised veggie gardens. We have started our tomatoes herbs, peppers already, but hopefully can get some beans and courgettes underway soon :-)
When we have the space, lookout we can be more adventurous.

kuaka, Nov 13, 7:36pm
Toadfish, we do have a small veg garden, it's only small because we have used the only part of the steep section we could reasonably give over to veg.We grow silverbeet all year round, broccoli, lettuce (basically all year round) tomatoes and runner beans for Africa.That's about all we have room for, but it's a great help.We also have mint and parsley in pots.

taurus2005, Nov 14, 5:11am
Gosh, thats cheap, where did you get all these from!

toadfish, Nov 14, 8:03am
Kings Plant Barn
8 x Punnets of 6 plants for $10
4 x Pots of Individuals for $7 (did that twice)
The only reason I got the herbs was because I needed to make up numbers, wasn't on my original shopping list.