Tapioca/Sago Egg Puddings

supanan4, Nov 10, 5:47am
Hi can you please give me the old recipe for making a tapioca or Sago egg pudding, we had it as kids and loved it. and you use to soak the tapioca over night, lol well I soaked it in water and after 2 hours it all went to mush LOL, Then I tried to just boil it but after 45 minutes the little balls were only half clear and hard in the middle.yet it said boil for 15minutes I must be doing something wrong! Please can you help me.

davidt4, Nov 10, 6:08am
I don't know if this is the old recipe, but this is how I make sago pudding.Tapioca would be the same but might need longer cooking.

Sago Custard Pudding

50g sago 

1/4c sugar

2 eggs, separated 

1 tsp vanilla
 extract
600ml milk or coconut milk

Simmer the sago and milk for 20 mins (it will expand and go transparent but you don't want it soft and soggy)

Take a small amount of sago out of the pot and put into another bowl, pour the beaten egg yolks into the bowl with the small amount of sago in it, then add the whole lot back to the main pot - really important that you don't throw the egg yolks straight into the pot or you will get scrambled eggs.
Bring back to the boil and add the sugar and vanilla.
Remove from the heat and fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites. The mixture at this point will become very light and fluffy and double in size.

wheelz, Nov 10, 7:22am
Tapioca takes ALOT more cookin than sago. Also requiring soaking first for about 4 hours. Then cooked till clear. They will look mushy after soaking, but that helps form the creamy sauce.

elsielaurie1, Nov 10, 7:41am
I cook my sago and tapioca over simmering water. I place the milk in the pan on top of another, so that it fits snugly then sprinkle the tapioca or sago over the milk.Stir occassionally to stop it from forming lumps. It may take about 1/2 hour or more depending on your quantities. But once the little balls are clear, add a beaten egg.Always take some of the cooked sago/milk mixture and mix it with the egg before adding to the mixture, This stops the egg from starting to cook when added. Stir through until the mixture thickens, add sugar and vanilla to taste. Taje off the heat and let stand for a few minutes or eat.Lovely with stewed apricots, cream or vanilla flavoured yoghurt.Keep a check on the water level of the lower pot.always top it up with boiling water.

beaker59, Nov 10, 7:51am
I copied this off the net a few years back and have been doing it ever since its so easy and has become a real family favourite. Great in the slow cooker almost set and forget, does need a stir about half time.

INGREDIENTS

• 4 cups milk
• 2/3 cup white sugar
• 1/2 cup small pearl tapioca
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1 tsp Vanilla essence

DIRECTIONS
1. Stir together the milk, sugar, tapioca, and eggs in a slow cooker. Cover, and cook on Medium for 3 hours, or on Low for 6 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve warm.

supanan4, Nov 10, 8:11pm
Awesome you are all stars thanks so much that is just what I wanted. Happy Cooking!