Gluten Free Pizza

speckles1, Nov 8, 8:12am
Hi all. I am making pizzas with my five year old class tomorrow. I want to make a gluten free base as I have a child who is gluten intolerant. I have gluten free flour etc but was wondering if I can use a standard dough recipe just with gluten free products or does it need to be done differently!

geldof, Nov 8, 8:28am
Are you using yeast!(some has gluten in it)
Generally GF bread doughs need to be much 'wetter'

I would tend to just make a pancake, and go for a thin crust pizza.
Takes some practice to get a good result with bread doughs.

speckles1, Nov 8, 8:39am
Thanks geldof. I have a great regular flour pizza base which works well every time. Just not used to doing it gluten free.

pommyjohn1, Nov 8, 7:27pm
Hi Speckles
Here is a recipe from another member which looks simple
1 cup self raising flour (I used gf and needed another handful to stop stickiness)
1/2 cup natural yoghurt.
mix it together. simple.

sounds weird but its DELICIOUS !

geldof, Nov 8, 8:46pm
I have done that one, pommyjohn1.
It works well.

pommyjohn1, Nov 8, 9:16pm
I should try it myself the bought gf bases are expensive and not very good

themillers1, Nov 9, 12:18am
If you don't have self raising flour can you use flour and baking powder!

geldof, Nov 9, 12:24am
Yes, themillers1, that's what I did.I don't like the after taste of SR flour.
Don't have the dough too stiff either.

bedazzledjewels, Nov 9, 12:35am
3 eggs, separated
100g cream cheese/Philadelphia
50g ground almonds (blanched)
1 tsp salt
1 rounded tsp guar gum

Preheat the oven to 180C - whisk egg whites until very stiff, in a separste bowl whsk remaining ingredients, gently fold in the egg whites.
Turn out on to a greased baking sheet, use a spatula to gently shape your pizza, bake in the oven for 20 minutes.

Remove from the oven, now put on your topping, whatever you like, we had as base BBQ sauce (I make my own sugarfree sauces) spread all over, topped with chopped capsicum, olives, goats cheese, salami, anchovies, 2 types of cheeses and jalapeno pepper, sprinkled with oregano.
So once you have your topping on, return the pizza to the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes or so until the topping is cooked and the cheese melted.
Recipe from Whitbyjet on our website