Bircher muesli

beebs, Apr 20, 10:47pm
how do you make yours, i have done a bit of google and they seem to start with the water/oats overnight, would it work with juice, or yoghurt overnight as a base, any hints/your favourites would be great

painterman, Apr 20, 11:09pm
fresh oj overnight. then add acidiphoullus (sp) yoghurt in the morning

2halls, Apr 21, 12:23am
My husband uses apple juice and acidopholus yoghurt, both of which he mixes inwith the oats at the beginning. He makes enough for two days at a time. He also adds some raisins. It's absolutely lovely :-)

doug57, Apr 21, 3:53am
I 'think' this is a Jamie Oliver one. . I've had it jotted on notepaper for years now.

Pukkolla :
8 Handfuls rolled oats
2 Handfuls ground bran
1 Cup each of chopped dates, apricots, walnuts and almonds [or brazils]

Keep in an airtight container.
Night before, dish up required amount in bowl and add 1/2 crunchy grated apple and enough milk to cover.
In morning, add milk, honey, berries.

elliehen, Feb 19, 2:52pm
Here is an interesting link to Dr Bircher-Benner and a recipe, slightly updated, based on his original one - which was only later called 'muesli'.

http://nutrition. suite101.com/article. cfm/maximilian_bircher
benner_father_of_muesli

Easy Overnight Birchermuesli Recipe
Here is a recipe for a modern, nutritious version of the popular creamy cereal known as birchermuesli. Serves 1.

Ingredients:

1/3 cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons chopped dried fruit (such as raisins, cranberries, mango, apple, pineapple)
2 tablespoons chopped raw nuts (such as almonds, cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts)
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1 tablespoon raw cane sugar or honey, optional
2/3 cup water
milk, soymilk, plain or fruit yogurt, or kefir
Combine the first 7 ingredients (oats through water) in a large cereal bowl. Cover with a plate or plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight to allow grains and fruit to soften. Remove from refrigerator, stir, and serve cold, blending in milk, soymilk, yogurt, or kefir. Also wonderful topped with fresh seasonal berries or a raw grated apple.