Why did college cooking never teach me

ange164, Oct 28, 4:37am
How easy cooking risotto is! the only risotto I've ever had was the packet stuff and the way my mother made it was not very nice.
I've just made the basic recipe off Healthy food guide and even though I didn't have white wine to put in it, I just left that out and it tastes good!

antoniab, Oct 28, 5:14am
Easy but takes a long time of standing at the stove

fifie, Oct 28, 5:18am
Good for you making your own risotto, making it from scratch beats the packet stuff any day.

toy_turbo, Oct 28, 5:34am
There's a gorgeous recipe in Jamie Oliver's book for minted asparagus risotto, sooooo good! :-)

korie, Oct 28, 5:37am
I have the impression that it's complicated and time-consuming so we always go for packet. mind you if you don't add the flavour packet in the box you can add anything you want and customise it to your own taste. easy!And yummy.

griffo4, Oct 28, 6:14am
l hate the packet stuff so didn't go near any risotto but once l made my first one l have fallen in love with it and l have my base recipe and then add what l want from that

griffo4, Oct 28, 6:14am
l hate the packet stuff so didn't go near any risotto but once l made my first risotto from scratch l have fallen in love with it and l have my base recipe and then add what l want from that

vinee, Oct 28, 7:27am
I don't stand over it. I know on telly they always say to add the liquid slowly, but after frying up the rice and veg etc,I just dump all the liquid in and come back in a while. Taste good to me!

thewomble1, Oct 28, 9:55am
Two ways to cook dem rice.one you add water/stock little by little and the other way add all the liquid at once.depends on the kind of rice.

sarahb5, Oct 29, 12:15am
Shouldn't it always be arborio rice for risotto though!

davidt4, Oct 29, 12:19am
Arborio, Carnaroli, Vialone Nano are all suitable for risotto.

sarahb5, Oct 29, 12:26am
Only ever heard of arborio

davidt4, Oct 29, 12:52am
All three are available in NZ, including some New Worlds.Carnaroli is regarded as the best for risotto, especially if a no-stir technique is used.

Any idea what "dem rice" is though!

sarahb5, Oct 29, 1:16am
I've never really looked obviously - and no idea about "dem rice" .