Clear chicken broth - help please

tuitoa, Apr 20, 2:56am
Hi, I need to go to hospital on Friday and have some tests done and need to be on a liquid diet for the next few days. Does anyone have an easy chicken or beef broth recipe, (I can't add onions or carrots etc), preferably one that is stock based.
Thanks

antoniab, Apr 20, 2:59am
Buy some Bovril and stir into hot water Yumy, got addicted to it while living in the UK.

jag5, Apr 20, 5:56am
Or Campbells chicken stock. They also have beef and fish. I have just had them the last couple of days, as had a colonoscopy today.

You can make your own, then strain it. Traditionally, stock is made from bones and meat scraps. Boil them up with chopped onion, carrots, celery, potato, no need to peel, that includes the onion, just scrub and chop. Season. Boil for about 2 hours, then strain through fine sieve or muslin. There you have your clear stock.

fisher, Apr 20, 6:03am
Here is a my standard chicken broth... . .
In a large stockpot, place one thoroughly washed whole chicken and cover with water...
Add a teaspoon of salt, 2 roughly chopped large onions, 3 ~ 4 crushed garlic cloves. . one tsp crushed peppercorns.
Bring to the boil and reduce heat to a simmer for 35 ~ 40 mins. Turn the heat off and let stand till cool... ...
Remove chicken , remove skin and break into pieces to use in salads etc.
If you strain the liquid off... you have Chicken Broth. .
You could maybe leave out the onions and use celery in its place...

tuitoa, Apr 20, 6:27am
Thanks for this, I'm having my colonoscopy on Friday afternoon.

raewyn64, Apr 20, 8:10am
My husband had one late last year.
I fed him cup a soup chicken noodle which I put through a tea strainer to get rid of the noodles and jelly (not together! )
I hope all goes well for you.

beaumonde, Feb 18, 9:11am
Chicken Broth
This recipe is from ready steady cookbook,
Nick Nairn
This recipe serve one
I use this as stock, tweak it a little makes a great base for risotto
I like to cut the chicken into pieces too instead of the leg, bit hard to eat
Add onion or carrot if you like ( what ever you have)
Ingredients
For the broth
1 t avocado oil
500ml chicken stock
100g basmati rice or that rice looking pasta, forget what it is called
½ courgette, chopped

For the chicken
1 tbsp olive oil
1 chicken thigh
salt and freshly ground black pepper
To serve
1 tbsp chopped fresh chives

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 200.
Heat ingredients and bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat until the mixture is simmering and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the rice is tender.
3. Meanwhile, for the chicken, heat the oil in an ovenproof pan over a medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper and fry for 2-3 minutes, until golden-brown on all sides. Transfer to the oven and roast for 12-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. (The chicken is cooked through when the juices run clear when pierced in the thickest part with a skewer. )
4. To serve, slice the chicken thigh meat. Spoon the broth into a bowl and top with the chicken thigh slices. Garnish with the chopped chives. .