Home-made Xmas gifts

mattdylan, Oct 24, 10:41pm
Hi all, so this year I have decided to gift things that are homemade, just to keep costs down. What are some neat ideas! So far I have mini choc chip cookies baked and put in a jar, some rocky road too, any more ideas!

smiggles15, Oct 24, 10:55pm
ohh they are so many ideas out there - try google.

This year I'm making gift packs for all the adults / couples - buying dvd rental vouchers, and packing them nicely with sweets, popcorn, pretzels, dip (onion soup n Reduced cream) etc.

For the kids (ages 13, 11, 7, 6, 5, 3.5 and 2) I'm putting together Ice Cream sundae packs - a cool wee bowl ans spoon, a selection of different sweets, sprinkles and nuts - with instructions, lol just add ice cream!

othe cool ideas I've seen are layering all dry ingredients (for say, choc chip cookies) in a glass jar, wrap with a ribbon with intructions to add the wet ingreds and bake.

If you are into making things, try fudge, relishes, sauces, shortbread and other cookies (make shaped cookies and pakage up with tubes of icing and sweets for decorating for the kids), jams, homemade lemonade.

Family gifts are fun too; what about a board game and yummy treats for a family games night!

edited to fix my spelling, lol typing too fast (and no auto correct on the desktop!)

mattdylan, Oct 24, 10:57pm
wow awesome some great ideas there, thanks! I have been having a nosey on the internet and saw those dry ingredients for cookies in the jars too, but I don't really want to give those as the person then has to work (to bake them) hehe, would rather give something already made I think.Love the idea of relishes yup might do that as well.

smiggles15, Oct 24, 11:00pm
check out the chelsea sugar website - heaps of yummy treats and relishes / pickles etc on there.

http://www.chelsea.co.nz/baking-and-recipes/default.aspx

smiggles15, Oct 24, 11:04pm
I think the secret to giving home made gifts is all in the packaging - buying cool wee jars, boxes, ribbons, making your own labels etc to make everything look home made chic.

elliehen, Oct 24, 11:22pm
Shortbread cut into rounds and packaged to look like Christmas crackers is a hit when you have small thank you Xmas gifts to give to neighbours and friends.

accroul, Oct 25, 12:34am
I saw a really neat idea the other day - hot chocolate on a stick! It's high fat chocolate (so it melts easily) possibly molded in icecube trays & you pop a stir-stick (popsicle stick or similar) in the cube before it goes completely firm. Then you release from the mold, pop in a cellophane bag with instructions & gift!

alibeli, Oct 25, 12:37am
Hi, not an edible gift, but the other day I saw old teacups fixed to matching saucer, and filled with wax to make a candle - lovely in the bedroom or bathroom!

mattdylan, Oct 25, 12:54am
Awesome, but how do you get the wax in there

geldof, Oct 25, 1:20am
Home made Dukkah in little jars or bags.

kob, Oct 25, 1:45am
we stopped in tekuiti the other day and their cafe there, had hot chocolates and with it your spoon had the head of the spoon covered in set chocolate with a marshmellow set into it, looked divine and melted of course once inside your hot chocolate, so thats a great idea

creeky1, Oct 25, 4:37am
I do Brandied Fruits, for the grown up's. Rocky road and Fudge for the kids.Spiced cookies and mince pies.

nauru, Oct 25, 6:06am
I make a variety of chutneys, relishes, and jams etc for gifts.Packing them all into nice shaped jars which I have collected during the year.Make nice labels and top the sealed jars with a circle of Christmas paper or material and tie a bow with several strands of rafia or you could use curling ribbon. I also attach a label with the recipe. I then package the jars (usually two together) in a cellophane bag and tie with curling ribbon.I often add diced crystalized ginger and a little whisky to my marmalade for gifts, it goes down a treat.
I also make shortbread cut into christmas shapes. Sometimes adding sliced almonds or choc chips.I pack them into cellophane bags and finish the same as with the jars.Last yearImade chocolate covered truffles and chocolate covered peppermint creams. I covered the mints in gold confectionery paper (10 sheet pk from Spotlight). These I packed into Noodle boxes with handles (5 pk from Wharehouse stationery ) and trimmed them with curling ribbon and bows
I have made pillow gift boxes this year for my chocolates, using a template available online.

makespacenow, Oct 25, 6:27am
Also making home made soaps, bath salts, oil, body melts. It is really easy.even my kds make own lip balms. No chemicals.

willyow, Oct 25, 6:43am
Vanilla bean added to shortbread gives it the X factor

cookessentials, Oct 25, 7:43am
Heaps on the Christmas thread.

nik12, Oct 25, 7:51am
I do truffles of all kinds and put in nice cellophane bags (spotlight is good), with a bit of ribbon.
Or a plastic container for a family with fudge and choc chip biscuits added.
Was thinking today I might do some kind of flat but big biscuit that can sit piled neatly in a cellophane bag with a ribbon - can't remember where I saw the idea ages ago.
Love the candle in the teacup idea!You'd just buy wax (spotlight again!) melt it and pour it in with the wick suspended by toothpicks or something would be my guess.I few drops of essential oils added would be great too!
Can't use Nana's precious Royal Albert, but will be keeping my eye's open at the second hand shops for tea cups!

whiskey13, Oct 26, 3:15am
I've just recently bought a candle in a teacup, auctions were started at $1 and i got mine at $1 postage was $7.50. Very well packaged and it has given me ideas for christmas gifts.

vampiriousmist, Oct 26, 8:08am
I saw a gift idea - cookie dough Logs - with instructions on how to bake - just make the dough and wrap it ina log form , and all the person has to do is turn on the oven, cut them into slices and bake them :). The gifthad ingredients and instructions on how to bake on a home - made label .

bev00, Dec 21, 9:37am
courtesy of baalamb -
Thread bought marshmallow onto skewers, drizzle with melted chocolate. When set, wrap individually in cellophane, with a label suggesting that they can be used as 'stirrers' for coffee or hot chocolate.perfect for the kids to make, or help with.

Quotebaalamb (271 )5:21 pm, Mon