Kids camp food ideas please

8ofthem, Oct 23, 11:07pm
going on an overnight camp with 20 students, we have only a 3 ring burner for cooking with and a BBQ. No power on site or water so am looking for interesting yet easy food to prepare. Would like to get away from conventional meals as it is only for the night & hopeing to put a fun menu together. Any ideas would be great

duckmoon, Oct 23, 11:20pm
Get them to make a hillbilly stove and cook on that!

duckmoon, Oct 23, 11:21pm
How far away from civilization are you!

Sausage and bread.,
And then have a parent collect some ice cream and do ice cream in cones (but will only work if you are near to a town)

duckmoon, Oct 23, 11:22pm
When do you leave for camp

Take food which is already cooked. And if late in the day, already heated and stored in chilly bins (or rather hotty-bins)

duckmoon, Oct 23, 11:23pm
Is it just dinner and breakfast you are serving!

Why not rolls with salad.

Or cold meat (meat loaf, ham or cold roast beef) with salads

duckmoon, Oct 23, 11:25pm
Frankfurters in hot dog rolls.

duckmoon, Oct 23, 11:25pm
Fun food.
Bacon and eggs on the BBQ for breakfast
And do baked beans on a burner

karenz, Oct 24, 12:07am
Home made hamburger patties and some bacon in the chillibin, good quality fresh buns from the supermarket on the way (not those big horrible plastic tasting cardboard textured commercially packaged ones), a selection of fillings like lettuce, tomatoes, pineapple slices, cheese slices,(or take a block of cheese and slice it), avocados ( make a simple guacamole by just mashing with lemon juice and salt), eggs, corn chips. I always did this for soccer tournament trips and the kids liked making their own hamburgers.Go easy on the tomatoes, they are expensive and not that many kids actually add them given the choice, they are really more for the adults.

rainrain1, Oct 24, 12:39am
I remember the kids had to cut a lid off the top of an orange at camp, eat the orange out carefully so as not to break the orange case or lid, then fill with chopped bacon and a whole egg, which was placed in the embers of the fire till cooked.Tasted really yummy too

rainrain1, Oct 24, 12:39am
I remember the kids had to cut a lid off the top of an orange at camp, eat the orange out carefully so as not to break the orange case or lid, then fill with chopped bacon and a whole egg, which was placed in the embers of the fire till cooked.Tasted really yummy too
Edited to say, best to have some spare oranges on hand :-)

8ofthem, Oct 24, 4:35am
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I need to make dinner, breakie and lunch and we are away from town so. Great ideas so far and will look at hotdogs for sure.

8ofthem, Oct 24, 4:37am
rainrain1 wrote:
Edited to say, best to have some spare oranges on hand :-]
Sounds exciting do you have anymore information about this eg. how long does it stay on the fire, does the lid have to go back on!

rainrain1, Oct 24, 5:07am
Yes you tuck the lid back into the orange, you don't take off too much lid, just a smallish hole enough to get the food inside. sort of bigger than a large coin.A bit of trial and error as far as the cooking goes, a test at home first maybe!Dare I say 10 minutes give or take a few.Maybe more than that, you can cheat and peek to see

duckmoon, Oct 24, 8:58am
Hamburgers, yum

priscilla2, Oct 25, 12:39am
Nachos for dinne(precook mince before you go).Hamburgers,tortillas with salad ingredients.Pancakes for breakfast.Filled rolls for lunch.
Bananas with chocolate and marshmallows in the middle and wrapped in tinfoil cooked on BBQ or in embers.

holly-rocks, Oct 25, 12:48am
Thats a pretty cool idea! :)

rainrain1, Oct 25, 1:05am
and of course billy tea

nik12, Oct 25, 7:44am
Can you make fires! Damper made on a stick filled with either relish and cheese (roll in tin foil after cooked and filled and put back on fire for a bit to melt the cheese), or butter and jam would be a cool lunch. depends a bit how much time you have for them to make their own!