Meals/recipes for cancer patient

logansrun93, Oct 23, 9:34am
I was going too make a homemade tomatoes soup but was told they cannot have tomatoes!.just wandering what else could I make

nik12, Oct 23, 10:47am
Depends very much where they are at! Can you find out what they really fancy! I remember my Dad wanted Tripe, and 'mums quiche' which was reallly the alison holyst self crusting he's moaned about for years lol.
If they like Kumera or Pumpkin that as soup would be lovely comfort food.
In my experience it's anything soft, that won't burn if they've got mouth ulcers.Pasta! Mac and cheese with well cooked pasta.Scalloped potatoes.Meat (something soft like lamb, cornbeef or mince) with mashed potato and gravey.
Be prepared for them to just 'pick'.

kiwitrish, Oct 23, 7:17pm
A few years ago I was a volunteer that made food for cancer patients and they gave us a recipe book of the meals to prepare.Ring the cancer society and ask them about the recipe book.

logansrun93, Oct 24, 4:00am
Thanks for both your inputs!.will ring cancer society and ask what they feel like eating too.Im prepared to do up meals, soups and put into small containers, they can take from freezer defrost and eat:)

mike844, Oct 24, 4:04am
if the person is still vomitting give them some condensed milk which will put a lining on their stomach also smoothed vege soup and lots of ice cream too. Mum died from cancer earlier this year and she couldn't eat any lumpy food.

gecko100, Oct 24, 4:07am
Custard tarts are often appreciated by cancer patients.

2bakerz, Oct 24, 6:53am
Really hope you can get some help here - my hubby has just finished chemo/radiation head area and as a result has lost all taste and has very sore mouth.If he cannot eat solid foods, you would have to puree everything - and don't forget the substitute types e.g. Sustagen, Ensure, Fortisip drinks - they at least help you through the non-eating phase.If a sore mouth, lack of saliva etc is an issue this of course can also not be palatable. Extreme mouth hygiene is essential for head cancer patients.- Best of luck, we're still struggling!

davidt4, Oct 24, 8:21am
2bakerz - I have been in your situation.It is very hard, but eventually a degree of tasting will return.Ensure is a life saver, and large drinking straws were a great help (the wide ones that are sold in Asian shops for bubble tea) as they enable a decent quantity of liquid to be taken in without too much straining.One thing that my husband found easy to eat and tasty was fresh salmon - it is soft textured and strongly flavoured, also nourishing.