Sweet shortcrust pastry.

ange164, Oct 21, 4:34am
Today I made pumpkin pie. the filling worked out okay, but the pastry is insufficiently cooked. How do I rectify this next time!
The cold filling went into the raw shell as the recipe instructs and I took it out when the top of the pie was golden. Much longer and the pie top would've been more on the over done side. The pastry around the edges is golden and crispy, but in the center of the pie it is cooked but doughy and pale.

harrislucinda, Oct 21, 4:40am
youblindbakethecrustfirstasfillingalmostcookedso onlyneedsheating thru

ange164, Oct 21, 4:43am
Thanks, but the filling still took the full 40 mins to bake - so will that then make the crust Over done! Or do I only blind bake it for about ten minutes!

geldof, Oct 21, 5:28am
I would at least partially blind bake the shell, but the other thing you can do is heat an oven tray on the appropriate shelf when you pre heat the oven.Put the pie onto the preheated tray and it gives the pastry base a boost.

ange164, Oct 21, 5:48am
thank you. I'll put beans on my shopping list for future baking blind efforts.
Now, does anyone have a flavourful recipe! the one I have is a bit insipid.

village.green, Oct 21, 5:59am
I would definitely blind bake the base first. If you don't have the ceramic beads for baking blind you can use dried kidney beans which I did for years, just kept them separately in a bag.
I think to liven up pumpkin pie you need to be generous with the spices, say cinnamon, nutmeg and maybe cloves!

geldof, Oct 21, 6:34am
The proper baking beans are really expensive and there aren't enough in a packet either.
I find rice works really well as it gets into the corners.It's only a problem if you forget the baking paper. lol

ange164, Oct 21, 6:52am
Mmm, I agree. perhaps next time i'll double the spice quantities in my recipe.