Will food processor double as mixer?

mindi1, Oct 13, 11:59pm
Hi there oh wise ones.
I don't bake very often but want to up my output. I watch Annabel Langbein et al and love seeing the use of food processors to blitz biscuits for use in bases, mix ingredients, etc. I already own a handheld two-wand mixer which has served me well to date. I am wondering if a food processor, with or without an upright blender, to do the blitzing, nut grinding, pusling etc that I want, would also do for mixing cakes without having to get out the hand-held!Would love a magimix or Kenwood or . but lack the $$ as well as the benchspace.
Thanks in advance.

wheelz, Oct 14, 12:23am
Short answer. No, sorry

duckmoon, Oct 14, 1:33am
Food processors chop things up
Cake mixers mix.

So they cant do the job of the other

sarahb5, Oct 14, 3:39am
I can make cakes in my food processor - it's actually very good at creaming and great for banana cake.Nigella Lawson's recipe for cupcakes is actually made entirely in the food processor.The only thing it's not good at is meringue because the bowl is plastic but it will also whip cream.You can't really make fruit cake in it beyond the creaming stage because the blade tends to chop the fruit up as well but for basic creaming it works fine.

davidt4, Oct 14, 4:16am
You can make rough and ready cakes in a processor, but you won't get a perfectly even crumb, and the crumb will be slightly tough.A syrup cake will be fine because the syrup disguises the toughness, and a cake that includes a decent proportion of ground almonds will be okay.

sarahb5, Oct 14, 6:23am
I obviously don't make many cakes that require a crumb texture but it makes perfectly good crumb for pastry or crumble or shortbread

davidt4, Oct 14, 8:37am
The original question was:

"would also do for mixing cakes without having to get out the hand-held!"

sarahb5, Oct 14, 8:54pm
Most of the cakes I make, including cup cakes, start with creaming - apart from actual fat-free sponges I don't make many that don't start with being creamed so other than fruit cakes my answer to the original question is yes, you can mix and make cakes in a food processor and they certainly aren't tough.