Help with using cake mix for muffins or cupcakes

angel361, Oct 18, 4:37am
Well I found it today in countdown $1.99 for a cholcolate cake mix (what a bargin, cheap I reckon), can you please tell me how to use this for muffin or cupcakes.I thought I might make them for my children for next week when they go back to school after the long weekend, thanks

245sam, Oct 18, 4:53am
angel361, I haven't used a packeted cake mix for many many years - long before muffins and cupcakes were such commonly baked items.IMO you can't make muffins from a cake mix but for cupcakes I would think that you would make the mix up as per the packet instructions and divide it amongst paper cupcake liners or well-greased cupcake/muffin tins, then obviously the baking time will need to be reduced considerably compared to the time given for 1 large cake.Once cooled ice and decorate as you wish.

A suggestion for next time - instead of bothering about buying a packeted cake mix try making the following recipe up - it's so so easy (all mixed in one saucepan) and it makes the most delicious moist little cakes.

MIRACLES
1 cup flour
1 tsp each ofbaking powderandbaking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp cocoa
½ cup each ofsugarandmilk
2 tbsp golden syrup
57g butter, melted
1 egg, beaten

Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa together, then add the sugar and mix it through lightly, with a fork.
Carefully and gently warm the golden syrup in the milk without allowing it to boil.Remove from the heat and add the melted butter, then the beaten egg.Add the dry ingredients and carefully mix all together.Place the mixture into patty pans or patty papers.
Bake at180ºC-200ºC.
Allow to become cold then either
a) ice the top of each cake with chocolate icing and decorate as desiredOR
b) scoop out of the top of each cake with a teaspoon, then add a small spoon of raspberry and replace the top of the cake and ice with chocolate icing
OR
c) make butterfly cakes by scooping out the top of each cake with a teaspoon, then adding a small spoon of whipped cream and replacing the top piece of cake, cut into two and placed to resemble wings.

Hope that helps and that you try the recipe - I don't know of any child (or adult for that matter) who hasn't enjoyed those cakes over the many many years that I have been making them.:-))

angel361, Oct 21, 1:42am
Thanks 245sam