Toasted Muesli

pestri, Oct 17, 9:00pm
Anyone got a recipe here! ( Full of naughty fats please!)

245sam, Oct 18, 12:58am
pestri, here are the two recipes that I use.

MUESLI {1}
6 cups (690g) rolled oats
1½ cups (250g) pumpkin seeds
1 cup each of sesame seeds (150g) and sunflower seeds (145g)
1 cup unblanched sliced almonds (115g)
OR other raw unsalted nuts of choice, chopped
½ cup honey (180g)
½-¾ cup oil - I use rice bran oil
about 1 cup dried fruit (see note below)

Gently heat the honey and oil together until blended. Stir the honey and oil into the rolled oats and seeds. Spread the mixture out in roasting dish(es) and toast in the oven on a low heat, until lightly toasted - check and stir frequently - do not leave any more than about 5 minutes between checks. It will take at least 20-30 minutes to toast right through. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, stirring every so often.
When cool enough add the dried fruit.
Store in a large cereal container and enjoy with yoghurt and fresh fruit.
Makes 1.535 Kg before the addition of the fruit.
Note: Use dried fruit(s) of choice e.g. chopped apricots, apples, raisins, cranberries, pineapple, yoghurt raisins, etc.

MUESLI {2}
300g quick cook oats
100g wheatgerm
100g of chopped almonds or chopped cashew nuts
3 tbsp oil - I use rice bran oil
9 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla essence
50g each of raisins and sultanas

Mix all the ingredients together, except the fruit, and spread out on a baking paper lined-tray.
Bake at 140°C for about 45 minutes, or until golden and toasted. Stir every 10 minutes so that it doesn't burn. Once it has cooled, break it up into smaller pieces or chunks and add the fruit. Store in an airtight container.:-))

vinee, Oct 18, 2:21am
top tip:
I cook muesli in the fry pan or wok rather than the oven - more economical and less likely to burn!

uli, Oct 18, 2:30am
What is a "naughty fat"!

wildflower, Oct 18, 2:42am
I do it in the fry pan too, I don't use oil, just a small amount of honey once the seeds and oats, wheatgerm and nuts are toasted.Then a handful of dried fruit of choice.

valentino, Oct 18, 2:49am
This is very nice, a Granola

450g rolled oats
120g sunflower seeds (kernals)
120g white sesame seeds
175g apple sauce ( a small tin full goes in)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
120g brown rice syrup (found in health shops. Otherwise use golden syrup)
4 tablespoons runny honey
100g light brown sugar
250g whole natural almonds
(Other nuts and or seeds can be added)
1 teaspoon Maldon salt
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
300g raisins (just use a bag full)

Mix everything except the raisins together very well in a large mixing bowl with some large spatulas or salad spoons.
Spread the mixture out on two baking tins (the sort that come with ovens, and are about the width of a rack) and bake in a 170C oven, turning over about halfway through baking and re-distributing the granola evenly during the baking process. The object is to get it evenly golden without toasting too much in any one place, even swapping the dishes about at the levels in the oven. This should take anything from about 40 minutes to an hour.
Once it's baked, allow to cool and mix together with the raisins. Store airtight.
Eat with milk for breakfast, with a spoon of natural yoghurt or by the handful.

pestri, Oct 18, 7:13pm
Thanks guys. I'll certainly be trying some of these!

tower, Oct 21, 3:44am
I've been making this regularly for 30 years

2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup coconut
1/2 cup wheatgerm
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 cup bran
1 - 2 cups chopped nuts

Mix over low hear (do not boil):
1/2 cup sunflower oil (I just use cooking oil)
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla

Pour over dry ingredients and mix well. Bake for 25 - 30 mins at 175, stirring often.
After it cools, add sultanas, raisins, dried apricots, or anything else you fancy.