Quiet Electric Jug - recommendations

ayglepaygle, Oct 19, 8:18am
We need to purchase a new quiet electric jug, our old one is on its last legs, thank goodness - as it is so noisy (despite assurances from the sales assistant that it wasn't too noisy). Which jug would you recommend!

mini80, Oct 19, 10:43am
Sorry cant recommend a brand, but we installed a steaming hot tap and it is brilliant. Boiling hot water always on tap and makes no noise at all. Best of all it is so economical to use, far cheaper than boiling jugs. Maybe something that would interest you.

tigerlilly16, Oct 19, 12:01pm
I think all jugs make some noise, as it's the sound of the water boiling! Unless they have a whistle then you could call the jug noisy, but I don't really see how you can stop boiling water from making a noise!

jen69, Oct 19, 5:26pm
The September comsumer magazine had a list of recommendations. The noise ratings do vary - some are apparently actually quite noisy. We bought a Breville Comfort kettle with "quiet boil technology" and it is amazingly quiet compared to the sunbeam we had. It was well rated in the consumer and we got a cheap deal on it at Harvey Norman. I wouldnt buy a sunbeam again simply because the last two we bought that were meant to be quite good, developed leaks. Hope that helps.

ayglepaygle, Oct 19, 6:54pm
You are right, all jugs do make some noise - but some jugs are very noisy, a lot more than just the sound of the water boiling!Russell Hobbs brought out a "whisper" kettle to counteract the noise problem with their ordinary kettle. The noise seems to be a problem with the cordless jugs.
I was just asking for recommendations for a quieter jug brand - not a silent one.

ayglepaygle, Oct 19, 6:56pm
Thanks for your recommendations. I will have to search out the consumer article. Sounds like Breville comfort may be the way to go.

jessie981, Oct 19, 9:43pm
Know what not to buy - Zip. Friend told me last week how noisey they are.

ange164, Oct 19, 10:26pm
I have a breville comfort kettle. It took a good few weeks of regular use to get rid of the plastic taste. It does boil more quietly than the last one. It still reaches regular loud noise at full boil - it stays at full boil about 1.5 mins before turning itself off.

gildon, Oct 19, 11:05pm
I would avoid Sunbeam!We bought a relatively expensive cordless kettle a couple of years ago and it is DEAFENING!If the jug is on we have to turn up the television.It is seriously the noisiest jug or kettle I have ever experienced.

ayglepaygle, Oct 20, 12:53am
From your description, it sounds just like our jug.(Russell Hobbs) Thank goodness it has reached the end of its life so we can get a new one!

supercook, Oct 20, 1:02am
We had one of these it was insinkerator best thing we ever purchased !Sadly we moved and had to leave it behind, so miss it had to buy a jug as we are now renting so hate having to wait for jug and the noise it is so loud.

pamellie, Oct 20, 2:30am
Last christmas I bought a russell hobbs kettle from Briscoes and then about a month ago it just started leaking. I took it back and replaced it with a sunbeam. Funny thing was while I was standing in the line the man behind me was returning the exact same jug with the same problem!

elliehen, Oct 20, 3:03am
My very noisy but classy-looking Breville matt satin-finish jug died after 18 months.I replaced it with a black plastic Sunbeam jug from Briscoe's for $29.95 (still classy-looking but plastic classy!) and it's superfast and very quiet.

nickyd, Oct 20, 5:00am
In my experience almost all the "quiet" jugs become progressively noiser as they age. We have had two Breville ikon's (one leaked and so was replaced) Both were very quiet to start with and now we have to pause the TV as can't hear it til the jug's finished boiling!.When you read the fine print they say you should empty them completely each night to retain the "quiet" properties - not sure who would get round to doing that!I think the metal jugs are generally noiser than the plastic.

supra_luva, Oct 20, 5:52am
We had a Russell Hobbs whisper kettle and it was like a jet engine. Have found plastic kettles the quietest although getting hard to find as most plastic ones seem to have a metal plate in the base which makes them noisier.

sue1955, Oct 20, 11:46pm
Thanks to your information I have just bought the Sunbeam Express Kettle (comes in black or white model KE1600) from Briscoes. Usually $49.99, but I got it for $34.99 today. I thought it was broken as I couldn't hear it boiling. It is indeed very quiet. One happy housewife here.

elliehen, Oct 21, 1:44am
sue1955, that's good to hear.I bought mine in one of Briscoe's 30% off sales.I sometimes have to look back to make sure that I did actually switch it on!The speed from start to boiling is a big plus too :)

lindar, Oct 21, 2:27am
I am really happy with our zip glass kettle.Briscoes often have them on special.Stronger than they look!

ange164, Oct 31, 4:33am
I emailed breville about my quiet boil kettle that wasn't a quiet boil any more about a year after having bought it. They reckoned scale build up was the culpret (indeed, from letting water sit in it.) and sent me a complementary bottle of kettle cleaner. I use half a bottle to de-scale it, and an hour later after letting it sit and do it's thing I have a quiet boil kettle again. Thumbs up breville.

nickyd, Oct 31, 9:14am
You have inspired me to try de-scaling mine.think I'll just try the white vinegar thing and see how it goes.

lilyfield, Oct 31, 11:26pm
I have just come home with a sunbeam om special 29.99, not a peep out of it, too quiet for me, forgot I put it on.

nickyd, Nov 2, 5:25am
I now have a quiet jug again, thanks to couple of hours and a cup of white vinegar- thanks!

esther-anne, Nov 2, 6:14am
Oh well someone has to be different.I like a noisy kettle.My husband is deaf and never puts his hearing aid in before making me a welcome morning cuppa.Thankfully I can hear the kettle from the bedroom and can yell at him when it boils.Otherwise my morning cuppa can take up to an hour to arrivelol!

Good job we are old and decrepit and have to forgive these little aberrations!