Can you roast in a slow cooker?

jessie981, Oct 5, 2:54am
friend said she does her leg of lamb. does it taste the same oas the old fashion roast!
Mad Butcher has legs this week for $7.99 kg

buzzy110, Oct 5, 3:35am
Yes and no. A lot of people in here reckon they can roast in their slow cooker. However, it is more like 'stewed' in its own juices. An oven roast is slightly different. I like mine still pink, firm, succulent and tender with little shrinkage and I can achieve that better in an oven than I could in a slow cooker. I also like the 'crunchy' effect that roasting has on the upper layer of skin and fat that oven roasting gives.

worzel6, Oct 5, 3:38am
I often use the timer on the oven. set a roast to come on at the right time, get home from work at 5.30 in the col and dark in the middle of winter and walk in to the smell of a yummy roast. if I am organised I will have the veges peeled before I left in the morning so they are ready to go on too. I have used the slow cooker to do the pudding as well.

rainrain1, Oct 5, 5:31am
The only way to find out is to try it for yourself. Slow cooking is not an every day way of cooking, but more like a convenient way.Fab to use if you are away for the day. So what if it's a bit overcooked once in a while, the meat still tasted dam good, especially arriving home late and starving in the Winter time.Use the darn thing, why else would you buy one.

jessie981, Oct 5, 7:21am
rainrain, don't have a slow cooker,wondering if it is worth buying one.

lythande1, Oct 5, 6:48pm
Slow cooking involves cooking at a lower temperature for a longer period of time, often three times or more the length of time you would roast those foods in a stove oven. This is preferred for tough, cheaper cuts of meats because slow cooking tenderizes and produces very flavorful results. A large roaster with slow cooking abilities, is ideal for large batches of chili, stews or soups.

jaymcee, Oct 6, 1:42am
I love whole chicken in the crock pot. Just as good as roasted in the oven.Not tried lamb though.

jessie981, Oct 6, 2:04am
Friend said she sprays inside of cooker & cooks on high 5 hours.

guest, Jan 11, 8:06am
So much info in so few words. Tostloy could learn a lot.

guest, Jan 13, 2:01pm
Let me get this out of my system.We have to get crrpooate a0lobbyists and special interests out of our political process. a0We are being led by the nose by American corporations who have no loyalty to America, only to their greed. a0A dog will not defecate where it eats, yet the corporations will!a0How can we compete with the billions of wage earners throughout China, India, and the rest of Asia who will work for a dollar an hour with no benefits, or safety laws to protect themselves, or Labor organizations to protect their interests?Our corporations have closed more than 55,000 factories in the US and moved them to Asia to make their labor costs yield more crrpooate profits. a0They manipulate the foreign currencies and ship these products to America with no tariff protection for struggling US corporations.a0As each of these American corporations, like GE and GMC, etc have closed down their factories, they have left millions of their former workers without jobs. Those whose efforts made them successful by their loyalty and a0hard effort. a0The middle class, the former strength of America, has simply gone down a whirlpool of despair!These crrpooate turncoats will not return to our shores until American workers are willing to work for the same incomes and benefits as their Asian employees.They know this will break the backs of the America labor unions who came into existence to protect the worker from crrpooate fascism.Any fool can see how the labor unions are being attacked today in all Republican states at the bequests of the foreign and domestic corporations whose lobbyists own our Congress with the blessing of the Supreme Court decision which allows unlimited crrpooate campaign contributions to influence the outcome of Congressional and Presidential elections. We the People had better wake-up and take our country back before it's too late!Here is the Oath of Office for members of Congress: I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God. a0(Notice the part of the oath against all enemies, foreign and domestic .a0Many huge corporations qualify as both foreign and domestic enemies since so many have left our shore and are orchestrating buying the election of members of our Congress here in the United States with their financial wealth.a0A corporation CANNOT VOTE! a0Only we citizens can vote. a0Where is the allegiance to the people?Here's what we have to do:We have to elect a completely new House of Representatives and one third of the Senate at the 2012 election and bring the power back to The People !!! a0Then every two years we have to evaluate the performance of each Senator and Representative and throw them out until we have elected politicians representing THE CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS a0OF WE THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES who will make the unlimited rule by corporations and special interests a thing of the past. a0All Lobbyist should be illegal. a0Corporations should prove the true value of their product by the competition of the market place! a0This especially applies to the Military Industrial Complex!Corporations are artificial persons under the law and HAVE NO VOTE, except by their financial contributions which are used to buy elections. a0A corporation should be limited to the same financial support of an individual citizen voter!1. a0Somehow we have got to regain control of our courts, including the US Supreme Court, which reversed the laws governing contributions by corporations, allowing them unlimited capability to buy a political election!(Ignorance is bliss! a0Examine this fact: a0the Chief Justice did not know the Oath of Office for the President. a0What a tell-tale event!)2. a0We need a balanced budget Amendment.3. a0We need TAX REFORM that is fair for everyone, rich or poor.4. a0We need all workers re-registered with the US government and given a new identification card to assure that all workers are legal, and paying taxes to a matching Social Security Record assuring that all companies have legal workers who are being paid and properly have taxes withheld. a0Companies a0not enforcing the tax laws should be criminally prosecuted.There are tens of millions of unregistered workers, mostly illegal Aliens, whose a0employers are not paying a legal wage and withholding Income taxes, Social Security, and Medicare and are defrauding the worker, and the government. These are free-loader corporation and businesses created by unscrupulous owners whose corruption harms us all.5. a0Banks need regulation! a0Everyone borrowing should be thoroughly evaluated to determine their financial ability a0to pay. a0This will prevent banks from lending irresponsibly and then packaging these worthless loans with a few good loans to foreign banks in order to clean their books! a0Just look at what this has done to todays financial world.6. a0Wall Street should be regulated. How is any Wall Street person entitled to bonuses of hundreds of million dollars in a year. a0Something stinks. a0The same is true of crrpooate officers. a0Shouldn't the money go to their shareholders? a0Wall Street manipulates the market in a way that whether the market goes up or down they still make money, just like legal gamblingHouses.7. a0Once elected, it is the duty to fairly represent those who elected them. a0Look at how this would change our nation if the truly represented the people and not special interests . a0They would have to work and negotiate on behalf of their districts, states and nation without the self-interest view of a political party.Represent the People not the party; not self-aggrandizement. a0Today, if not already a millionaire, they soon becomeone. a0So, who are they representing, definitely not the people , but special interests. a0They should not be allowed to make more than their congressional salaries and benefits. a0We should mandate they participate in social security and Medicare like the rest of us. a0If this had been the mandate all the time, they would not have broken the original trust fund and bankrupted the SOCIAL SECURITY TRUST FUND to benefittheir special interest or support an illegalWar!8. a0Both Republicans and Democrats should represent what's good for America!They should not be allowed insider trading on Wall Street. a0Neither should their Staff!Public service should not be an ego trip or a get rich opportunity!

guest, Jan 14, 10:04am
Snow in the Village! I can just picture how prttey it must be. I just took a peek at your forecast (weather nerd alert) and it looks like it should stick around for a while. Enjoy your winter wonderland, JJ!