Cooking a really thick staek

dawn34, Oct 6, 4:15am
I am going to sear first and cook in oven but how long in oven for !they are about 1.5inches thick, oh and how hot should the oven be lol

petal1955, Oct 6, 5:05am
I would not cook it in the oven.would get a really hot pan and whack the steak in for about 2 minutes dont prod or poke it.you will break the seal.then turn over and cook a further 2 mins.let it REST for at least 5 mins.dont skip this step as its really important to let meat rest.this seals in all the juicy and kjeeps it moist.

twindizzy, Oct 6, 5:06am
rest, rest, rest

carlosjackal, Oct 6, 6:09pm
I would say roughly 3.5 - 4 minutes each side in the fry pan then rest for atleast double that (about 8 - 10 mins)

otterhound, Oct 6, 7:24pm
They cooked a massive steak on masterchefnot long ago, on a barbecue.Had it not as hot as you normally would and cooked it about 15 minutes total, then rested.It was a ginormous steak - and of course turned out beautifully.It was Gary who cooked in, in one of the master classes.

mamaa, Oct 7, 3:47am
And a cast iron or very heavy pan is best.Resting ensures perfect and only doing each side the once.Pan as hot as you can get it.I just throw a bit of salt on bottom of very hot pan.Or do the same under my fantastic gas grill

pogram0, Oct 8, 7:57am
If you rest a steak for 8 - 10 minutes it would be cold - do you mean that you rest it in a warm oven or do you put it back in the frypan again.

davidt4, Oct 8, 8:40pm
No, a thick steak as described in the original post won't be cold after 8 - 10 minutes resting on a hot plate.It will be just right.And by hot plate I don't mean one of those horrible metal sizzling plates, I mean a china plate warmed in the oven for a few minutes or run under the hot tap and dried.Or heated in a warming rack on top of the barbecue.

liamjosh, Oct 9, 1:38am
Definitely use a cast iron pan if you can with grills on it.2 mins one side then lift and turn 90 degrees and then another 2 mins on that side then turn over and continue cooking until cooked how you like it.Use the 'press test' to see how well cooked it is.Also oil the meat, not the pan. doesn't burn as much then.And someone told me once to rest steak for half the time it took to cook it, you can cover it with foil if you are worried about it cooling too much.

teine2, Oct 9, 1:58am
After searing for 2min each side , cook in a pre- warmed oven 2-6min depending on how cooked you like it, let sit on warm plate 5min at least use the juices that seeps out while resting in a jus (sauce) to accompany the steak.