Ginger Beer question ...

jaxma, Apr 18, 7:10pm
I just opened the first bottle in a new batch of ginger beer - it's very fizzy and tastes perfectly fine. The only problem is, it has an aroma to it that seems a bit odd ... it's kinda a very slight sulpha or egg smell. Is this normal? I've not noticed it before.

jaxma, Apr 18, 9:39pm
... Bump ...
The first batch was brewed in plastic bottles, and this batch was done in glass. Maybe that makes a difference? ?

harrislucinda, Apr 18, 11:20pm
wasitmadewith thebugorinstantbeerwithyeast

jaxma, Apr 18, 11:48pm
It was made with a bug ... feeding it for eight days before draining the liquid off and making up.

harrislucinda, Apr 19, 2:31am
wellwhen you dotakethescrewtopof forthefirstthereisasmellbutcantrememberifeggyornotbutifthetasteisrightmustbeok

jaxma, Feb 14, 1:48am
I asked on another website where people do all their own home brewing etc, and (long story - bear with me) ... the guy said that all commercially brewed wines and soft drinks contain sulphur dioxide (? ? sp), which acts as a preservative. The glass bottles I have used for this batch are commercial ginger beer bottles that I have saved when I've bought ginger beer. The smell will have been produced by the remnants of what had been in the bottle before I used it. Obviously washing them doesn't totally get rid of everything! He also said that it is perfectly harmless unless you have an allergy to it, so that's good to know :-)