If soy milk is supposedly so dangerous

Page 1 / 2
mazzy1, Sep 17, 1:08am
and I don't respond at all well to cow's milk, what on earth can I put on my cereal in the morning! Never tried goat's milk - not sure about that at all!

grandma, Sep 17, 1:23am
What's dangerouns about soy milk!

elliehen, Sep 17, 1:26am
Misinformed scaremongering people ;)

mazzy1, Sep 17, 1:47am
You get to the stage where nothing is safe to eat or drink, if you listen to all the anecdotes. Perhaps we should call them anecdon'ts.

mazzy1, Sep 17, 1:47am
everything, apparently! lol

accroul, Sep 17, 1:49am
Nothing. You're not supposed to eat cereal either - that's dangerous too.

switch24, Sep 17, 1:54am
Goats milk is ok, or rice milk.Vitasoy brand is best

sarahb5, Sep 17, 2:00am

sarahb5, Sep 17, 2:02am
If it's the lactose in cow's milk you have issues with though you can buy lactose-free milk that isn't soy-based

http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/blogs/hfg-advertiser-content/2012/august/19/anchor-zero-lacto-lactose-free-cows-milk

mazzy1, Sep 17, 2:14am
Might give that a try - thanks sarahb

mazzy1, Sep 17, 2:15am
thanks for that - does the rice milk taste like soy at all!

sarahb5, Sep 17, 2:15am
You're welcome - Liddells also do a UHT one.I have mild lactose intolerance which comes and goes (at the moment it's gone).

ribzuba, Sep 17, 5:04am
Rice milk is nice, but pretty empty nutrionally.Soy milk debate is pretty even on both sides, asians have been drinking it for centuries and they live to a pretty good age. I think its more of a read the info and make your own decision.Vitasoy is fermented soya beans though so if its more of an IBS problem you will be better with So Good as they aren't fermented

elliehen, Sep 17, 5:26am
Here's some current anecdos and anecdon'ts ;)Just go looking and you can find anything you want to believe or disbelieve.

http://www.counselheal.com/articles/2869/20120915/bread-harmful-vital-nutritionists.htm http://www.counselheal.com/articles/2826/20120911/high-fat-diet-alter-brain-study.htm

frances1266, Sep 17, 6:22am
Yet again, soy has a weaker form of estrogen which attaches itself to the cells and the stronger forms of estrogen destroy themselves hence soy products are good in cases of reproductive cancer as has been proved by research.
There was a study of 20,000/30,000 people who had been brought up on soy products for 30 years, there were no negative consequences whatsoever.
It is my belief that the naysayers are dairy farmers worried about the competition from soy.They should b e more worried about dairy products which have been proven to have adverse health affects.Google for yourselves if you are interested.

auntlb, Sep 17, 6:32am
Canned fruit is nice with cereal as an alternative. My daughter is lactose intolerant and has found the new zero lacto milk is good - tastes just like 'normal milk'

buzzy110, Sep 17, 7:02am
There is a massive difference between the fermented soy that those who are raised on soy eat and the unfermented, frankensoy that is produced for westerners.

I doubt that soy eaters bother much with soy milk. It is not as if they have a use for milk in their traditional cuisine.

Examples of soy products eaten by those who have a soy culture are natto, tempeh, tofu, soy sauce and miso. These are not common foods (other than the pretend soy sauce we have here) in the western diet. They are all fermented.

jennyp2, Sep 17, 8:30am
I tried Rice Milk but now use the Almond Milk instead - I find it much tastier. I also use it in my coffee machine and although it's quite different - i find it more than acceptable. I cut out most dairy products - milk cheese icecream and find I don't get so "wheezy" when exercising. I can swim lenghts and not puff like a train at each end!

norse_westie, Sep 17, 8:56am
Almond milk is nice, and hemp milk is even nicer.
The stuff about soy is all a crock though. Its perfectly safe.

sarahb5, Sep 17, 9:37am
It doesn't appear to be safe for everyone though - I prefer to err on the side of caution especially when there are acceptable alternatives

echoriath, Sep 17, 9:50am
I gather breathing is dangerous.

::holds breath::

knowsley, Sep 17, 5:08pm
There are a lot of food groups that may not be safe for everyone. With soy (as with a lot of things), it does tend to be more dose dependent.

norse_westie, Sep 18, 3:45am
The same could be said for milk though, couldnt it!
And almond milk. And rice milk. Nothing will ever be completely safe for everyone. Fish is good for most people. However if my youngest eats it he will die. That doesnt mean I go about spouting how dangerous it is for the entire world.

sarahb5, Sep 18, 3:53am
No, but then you said soy was "perfectly safe" which isn't true .

knowsley, Sep 18, 5:56am
Wow, lots of incorrect information and wrong assumptions here.